Dead Motor... :( Thoughts?

Wantvegas

So, I just found out today that my motor is dead (piston rod went into the cylinder wall), so I’m looking to replace it. I have a few questions though ::confused::confused:

1. Should I replace my 2.2L turbo SHOC for the V6 out of the 90 and 91? Can I even?
  2. Should I replace my 2.2L turbo SHOC for a 2.2L turbo DHOC? Can I even?
  3. Any good ideas on where to find a motor?
  4. Any notes or thoughts on during a motor swap on an 89?

My car is an 1989, Auto, 96k miles, good overall shape.

You are in CA which means the car is only smog legal with an engine that was offered on that year and model. You can get a smog referee to certify a newer engine (not older) for that car but then it will need to meet the smog requirements for that newer year. Visit the CA BAR website to look up the info you need to see. http://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/index.html

So, I just found out today that my motor is dead (piston rod went into the cylinder wall), so I’m looking to replace it. I have a few questions though ::confused::confused:

1. Should I replace my 2.2L turbo SHOC for the V6 out of the 90 and 91? Can I even?
  2. Should I replace my 2.2L turbo SHOC for a 2.2L turbo DHOC? Can I even?
  3. Any good ideas on where to find a motor?
  4. Any notes or thoughts on during a motor swap on an 89?

My car is an 1989, Auto, 96k miles, good overall shape.

As you have to do something the options are limited by imagination and money, if money is a factor this is my favorite used parts link, http://car-part.com/ remember, changing motor type also means wiring and controller. If you plan on daily driving give some thought to a reman long block.

Great. Thank you for the info! I think to keep it easy, I'll still go with the correct motor for my year then.

You can toss in a 2.5L SOHC engine and no-one will be the wiser. I have a 2.5L '85 Laser, 3.0L '85 Voyager. All CA legal when I lived there. Just have to do it right.

• 4 weeks later...