Accumulator Availability

Digger914

As we Chrysler TC guy's share a common and now virtually impossible to find accumulator formerly known as AC Delco 25528382, thought you might like to know that this part is manufactured in Germany by Lemforder their part #11797 01 and is readily available for 1 ea. purchase on this side of the pond. The best online pricing I have found for this part is under Jaguar part # JLM1907 and Saab Delco part # 4002267.

A bit late on this, but will post anyway. I found the same Jaguar unit that is an apparent cross for the one used on the Reatta but it was going for north of $400 in every case I found one for sale. That is no deal when you don't know how long it has been sitting. I have it from discussion with another Reatta owner that Marck at East Coast Reatta parts, along with some partners who provided funding towards the effort, has commissioned a new production run of factory spec accumulators straight from the OEM in Germany.

In deference, I will not post his asking price (or what I have been told it is by a third party) but will say it is less than any of the NOS Jaguar parts I found around. I think it is a fair deal for getting a known new production part.

If you can find a proper fitting good accumulator for less, knock yourself out as the saying goes. I would point out though that it is in the interest of Reatta owners - at least those of us who are preservation minded with an eye to the future - to support vendors who are taking initiative to supply parts that would otherwise be unavailable or have to be substituted with sub-par replacments.

If these early efforts prove unprofitable for those willing to take the risk, we will find ourselves with no one willing to put forth the effort or expense to support these cars down the road. We may well end up there anyway based on the level of interest and valuation of the Reatta, assuming neither increases appreciably in the future.

That said, neither should we be shooting ourselves in the foot by making it a thanksless effort for those who are trying to contribute to the preservation of our cars simply because we might feel the price tag is too high. Keep in mind that we are dealing in low production volume, slow selling boutique parts at this point. Repro parts will be generally be more costly than their OEM predecessors (when they were last available anyway). There is an enormous amount of money to be fronted when undertaking something like ordering up a short run of a specialty part and if there is no payoff in it, it will be a one and done effort.

FWIW, a handful of people have contributed solid efforts to help with restoration or preservation of Reattas. Barney and his various offerings, Kingsley (convertible visor clips), Steve (tail lamp letter inlays and 16 way switch bezels) and now Marck and his associates doing accumulators. If we as owners expect to see further efforts like the few I've listed above, we need to put our money where our mouths are.

Complaining about a lack of parts and then complaining about the price if someone makes the part available is is stupid. Either you need it/want it or you don't, and if the latter then no further moaning and groaning should be heard.

Just my honest thoughts on what I perceive to be the often price-obsessed reluctance to support the few vendors who have demonstrated a willingness to actually do something useful while the hue and cry of "whadda we do now?" go out on this forum and other venues followed on by the indignation of "how much?!" when someone rises to the occasion. Can't have it both ways.

KDirk