1937 dodge 'Ammeter replacement

zuodar

Just bought a 1937 dodge D-5 sedan in August. I am new to this hobby. So I need all the help I can get and appreciate it.

My ammeter on my 1937 dodge does not work. The manuals I have do not show how to remove it. IS it necessary to remove the entire dash or can one just remove the instrument cluster?

It may be difficult getting under the dash I am kinda big.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Zuodar

Don't know about the gauge, but you may take the seat out for more clearance. It would seem like a lot of work but half way thru the job you will be thinking that you should have done it.

I sometimes will use a piece of plywood and lay it on the door sill and a couple of jack stands out side of the car making a bed of sorts where you can lay sort of outside of the car with only your upper body in on the floor.

I know that the 40's Chrysler gauges can be removed individually and I would tend to think the same for your car. I may be wrong but there is probably no need to remove the entire instrument cluster. The gauges are (40's cars) held into the cluster by screws. Yes, hard to get to but easier than removing everything, including all the old, brittle wiring.

I am not a big person so it is easier for me to navigate under a dashboard........

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the cluster from behind you will see that each individual gauge can be removed and replaced. Get yourself one of those mirrors on a long arms and a flash light and you can lay on the floor and see what I am talking about. Not very difficult to do just make sure that the battery is disconnected.

• 3 weeks later...