re chrome bumpers

rocky5517

Anyone know of a good chrome plater within 50 miles of North Jersey? I've been reading up on some different companies and I've never seen such a wide array of complaints/compliments from different people about the same outfits. What's up with that?

I want my bumpers re-done for my 67/ rear has a couple of dings/minor rust. Front has a decent size crease in the middle and some rust on one side.

• 1 month later...

I want my bumpers re-done for my 67

Did you get your bumpers re-done? I will eventually be deciding between having my '66 rear bumper repaired and re-chromed or replacing it. The damage is slight but it is damaged just the same. I don't know what repairing and re-chroming will cost, but I expect that replacing it will be more economical in the long run. However, I've read elsewhere on this site that the replacement bumpers often don't fit just right, and that makes me wonder, how would I know if it will be a good fit until I put it on? Anyway, I'd like to know more about how you dealt with your bumper problem. Thanks.

You usually are always better off having your original bumper re-chromed, assuming it is in repairable condition.

The problem with a replacement - you don't really know the previous condition, or how badly damaged it might have been prior to repair and re-chroming.

It really doesn't take much to render a stamped steel Riviera bumper useless in terms of proper fit.

What an ordeal to find a good plater; I must have called 6 outfits; one in Philly, Jerry Martin, had the best rep but when I called him, 3 weeks ago, he said he doesn't do bumpers anymore. He recommended an outfit called Keystone. He spoke highly of them.I called ( 800 4323720) and spoke w/ Linda. She said they've been doing it for more than 30 years, plating ( triple process) and straightening) and, get this, they have a network of auto part stores that you can drop off and pick up. There's one in Totowa NJ, 5 miles from me. She quoted me, front and rear, something like $1600, with an 8 week turnaround.

Spoke w/ a guy near Pittsburg who quoted $2,000 min and 4 month lead time.

I don't have to tell you who I'm going with.

From what I gather, there are restorers who undertake a 5 year project and want concours-like results; time and money are not an issue. then there's guys like us- or me anyway.

Will be removing bumpers within the next couple of weeks. Let me know how you make out.

Sam from Jersey

Did you try Reading Plate in Reading PA? small shop good work did many for me when I was restoring Rolls and Bentley cars. There's also Labrandi's in Middletown PA at the Harrisburg Intl Airport. On my current 65 GS project I was able to clean up the rear good enough and Picked up a really nice front lower from Rivi central. Some of the Riviera parts guys have nice used ones. I know Gene in Philly has a rechromed 65 for 1200.

This is the seasonal rush for big car jobs in the north. Winter is here. All those bumpers and chrome bits are swamping the shops. Some owners are asking for engine and transmission work with the idea of a heated storage space included.

When it is a five year restoration show and cruise season is the time to get those jobs done. I have some Packard stuff that will go in for plating in May or June. Of course, one has to have at least one car drivable and one under construction to work with those stars in alignment. Oh, the things I do for posterity.

Bernie

To make matters worse, it seems the EPA isn't keen on renewing permits for chrome guys, or at least that;s what I'm hearing. A lot of guys don't, or can't, maintain the large vats for bumpers. That's one of the reasons it's easy to find guys to do small parts as compared to bumpers. Apparently it costs thousands of dollars to empty, clean and re-fill the large vats. That is why some shops ship the bumpers off to Mexico, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired from what I hear. I'm going with Keystone/ will keep everyone posted.