'64 Skylark Shift Lever Issue

Machine Gun

My '64 Skylark is equipped with automatic transmission. It operates fine in all respects except for the column shift lever. It's very difficult to pull the shift lever in to get it to shift into Park. It doesn't bind or make any unusual noises, it's just that it's very stiff pulling in the lever and feels like it needs a good cleaning and/or lubrication. It moves through all of the gears smoothly once I pull in the lever. it's not obvious to me where the problem might lie, inside the column perhaps? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can shed any light on this problem.

TIA,

Jim

Jim, I would disconnect the linkage at the base of the column and see if the problem is in the column or the linkage. My guess is that it is in the column which shouldn't be too difficult to take apart and fix or replace with another good working used. If it is a tilt, then it may be more expensive to buy of course, as well as a little harder to find.

Thanx for your reply, Yeller. I hope to have some time this coming weekend to look into the problem. I also have a carburetor issue to resolve that takes priority over the shift lever issue. If the problem looks like it might be in the column as you suggest, then I'll have to find my steering wheel puller (haven't seen it in years). I hope to be able to see what's going from either end of the column and not have to pull and disassemble the thing. I'll let you know what I find out. Might be a while.

Jim