Craigslist find 49 Roadmaster Riviera

Guest my3buicks

I have never used Craig's List. He says he wants to be contracted by phone. I did figure out how to get the phone number. This is the last "dreamcar" I've wanted that I haven't found and tried out. Problem is, I turned 76 yesterday and I just don't think I can take on another restoration like this. I'm seeing 8-10 years unless it is put into an unaffordable full restoration shop. How can it be ten minutes away from you in Cleveland when it is in Pittsburgh?

I have never used Craig's List. He says he wants to be contracted by phone. I did figure out how to get the phone number. This is the last "dreamcar" I've wanted that I haven't found and tried out. Problem is, I turned 76 yesterday and I just don't think I can take on another restoration like this. I'm seeing 8-10 years unless it is put into an unaffordable full restoration shop. How can it be ten minutes away from you in Cleveland when it is in Pittsburgh?

It's not actually in Pittsburgh, it is just advertised there. The map shows Cleveland.

Guest my3buicks

But we are talking Roadmaster versus Special, right there off the bat is a difference in collectability. We are also talking a rather iconic car with the Roadmaster Riviera hardtop. I have also seen them listed several times over the years on lists as one of the top 10 most desirable Buick models. They built less of my 67 Special Deluxe Hardtop coupe as well, about half, but I am not fooled into thinking that it in any way is more desirable than a 49 Roadmaster Riviera hardtop.

The 49 Roadmaster Riviera Hardtop is also listed as a Milestone car with the Milestone Car Society.

I've been in AACA for just short of 53 years, and I can't remember ever seeing one of these cars at a National AACA Meet. In high school I bought my second car, a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop. I've only seen 2-3 of those at a National Meet, but never a 49 Riviera. I've seen one of the Cadillac versions released two weeks later, but never a Rivvie. I've never figured that out.

Well I went and contacted the seller and asked him clarify just what is considered 100% and if the rebuilt engine is an extra motor or not. He gave me his phone number and I replied by inviting him over to this thread and gave him a link. Perhaps he will respond here to my questions which I think we all share.

Update: The guy got back to me. Says the sale goes with one frozen engine with trans. For additional cost there is an overhauled engine available. Neither are the original engine from factory. He is a BCA member as well. Wants anyone interested to contact him through the Craigslist ad. Had the car in the Bugle for a while this past year as well.

I'm certainly NOT a pricing expert, but with that said,in my opinion this car should have sold by now. What am I NOT seeing? Is it a real rust bucket, or is price the issue?

If I weren't so deep into projects for customers, and myself, well, I would really get with the program.

Help me out on the WHY'S this hasn't sold? This would be probably be the ONLY Buick I would restore to original. NO SCALLOPS Mr. Earl.

Dale in Indy

I'm a tad different than a lot of car guys, with that said, I'M NO BETTER THAN MANY, but I have all the tools, the smarts, and would do it myself, I have undertaken much bigger projects. I would only hire the interior, I bet I could do it, NOT 400 point car, but a beauty, and would suit my needs/desires. I would say putting approx. 15k above the purchase, I would spend only gas money going the 400 miles to get.

But, like I said, I'M TO INVOLVED and getting older each day, hehe.

Dale in Indy

One person here said he couldn't find the phone number in the ad.

It's listed as (216) 337-1036--that's Ohio--and the seller's name is

given as "Bill."

To find the phone number, click on the Craig's List ad's "Reply" button in

the upper left part of the screen. Doing so reveals more information,

such as the phone number.

Dale

Just a very few people are doing garage restorations or even paying professional shops to do them. Doesn't matter much how rare or what type of car, NOBODY is doing an expensive restoration. This car could be the poster child for what I mentioned. This car is at that point where the owner either needs to spend $75,000 and get it restored or checks himself and offers it for sale.

So he and thousands of others offer it for sale.

Who would buy this car? I am not being a smart aleck. I am asking a legitimate question. What is the market? Is someone wanting one in California going to buy it, spend $2200 or so to relocate it? How many BCA guys within 500 miles want it? If it was offered in the Bugle for several months, at the same price, why didn't the 7500 + members see the cool factor and buy it?

... The Roadmaster Riviera would be worth $30,000 to $40,000 done if it is a BCA Gold level car, but to get there from this point you would need to spend $75,000 +.

I'd seriously consider buying it if I didn't already have the 49 sedanet. I drove 1300 miles round trip with a trailer to pick up the sedanet last year at a cost of about $500. I've got my own well equipped shop and do all my own work. So no, it wouldn't cost me $75,000 to restore it. I could probably do it for about $10-15K additional, depending on how much chrome work is needed. Just countless hours...

I agree, that the price looks fair, but there's got some reason it hasn't sold, at least at this writing. Hopefully someone will scoop it up soon. But I think that Imperial62 is right. For the money you would need to spend to make a no.1 car out of it, it'd be way more than its' worth. My '41 Roadmaster is a "garage restoration", but its' not a 400 point BCA car. Looks great and drives great, is authentic, and I get many compliments on it, but its' not to the standards of the somewhat over restored cars I see at shows.

My few centa worth anyway.

Keith

I think I could do this car for about $50,000 if I had 10 years left. I'm 76, so I don't have 10 years left if I'm ever going to enjoy the car afterward. I've always used good craftsmen who want to work part time at home, or in a small body shop. Result, our 71 Riviera took 9 years for paint and bodywork, and one year for detailing. My '39 Buick convertible coupe took 6 years for paint and bodywork, almost a year to upholster, and a year and a half to detail. So, it's time even more than money. Friendship is friendship and business is business, remember that. I have good friends in the restoration business, but they aren't going to put my car in front to everybody elses job, and they aren't going to work for part time money for me. I know somebody who would do this car for $30 an hour, but he's already loaded up, and he's as old as I am, or more. I ain't gonna happen. Look how old most of us in the hobby are these days. There aren't many 20-somethings these days with the antique car enthusiasm we had in the 1960s. They are more interested in computers, i-phones and all the other electro-technical stuff of this day and time. Sad to say. In closing, DALE, how could you NOT restore a 1941 Series 90 Limited to totally original? This is an even better car than this Riviera.....I had two of them in my day and it is true as the ad said, "it's the parlor car that flies."

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Dynaflash8, It was never considered, there are enough ORIGINALS out there for me and others to see, so Never thought for a second other than modify.

I grew up in a Buick dealership, every Buick I have ever owned was modified, last time I check the USA doesn't have a law forbidding me from my own expression.

Dale in Indy

In 1977 I took this picture at the Buick National Meet in Strongsville, Ohio. I was 29 and realized at that moment that enough original 1939 Buicks had been saved to satisfy posterity.

post-46237-143142803386_thumb.jpg The image of that row of '39's has stuck in my head whenever I have thoughts of modifying a car and I've done a few. It is always nice to know exactly the moment one becomes "grounded" in a thought.

That might make a good picture to represent the '77 Nats.

Oh, I owner a '39 Series 40 at the time. The picture was taken with a 35MM Kodak Signet 40.

That '49 Roadmaster coudln't really be improved with modifications, though. It is a good car as built.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Dale

Just a very few people are doing garage restorations or even paying professional shops to do them. Doesn't matter much how rare or what type of car, NOBODY is doing an expensive restoration. This car could be the poster child for what I mentioned. This car is at that point where the owner either needs to spend $75,000 and get it restored or checks himself and offers it for sale.

So he and thousands of others offer it for sale.

Who would buy this car? I am not being a smart aleck. I am asking a legitimate question. What is the market? Is someone wanting one in California going to buy it, spend $2200 or so to relocate it? How many BCA guys within 500 miles want it? If it was offered in the Bugle for several months, at the same price, why didn't the 7500 + members see the cool factor and buy it?

I think the answer is cost in mostly money but also time. I have a 1950 Hudson going to a restoration shop and my budget is $1000 a month for the next 5-6 years. By comparison, my mortgage is $1200 and my truck payment is $462 and daughter number 2 (age 12) needs a college education funded at about $200 a month. My Hudson might be worth $18,000 when done, maybe. The Roadmaster Riviera would be worth $30,000 to $40,000 done if it is a BCA Gold level car, but to get there from this point you would need to spend $75,000 +.

This car needs a reality TV show.

… And now a few words from your Analyst:

Even if cars like this are offered at a real low dollar amount, it still takes a lot of dedicated effort and passion to put them back on the road in good fashion, and of course time. One no doubt has to have a drive to do so and like many of in a certain few number of generations here, can remember them back in the day and have memories for us that help to drive these passions and period correct is the only way to go to satisfy and make the project happen. In this crowd there are also many others that fully appreciate recognizing and capturing "The Moment" for what it is and demand complete stock correctness and honor that which is to be cherished, kept and preserved.

In another crowd there are those who do not share nor can identify with this period recognition or preservation mantra of the moment, and if even they can or do, they still desire to embark on modification programs for these same said vehicles. The cars to them are then objects for modifications big or small, pure and simple. For them it is rendering to these folks an irrevocable license. The ability to satisfy that primordial urge to create and at the same time fulfill the adolescent and many times unfulfilled post adolescent need to carve one's "initials" as it were or mark one's territory into something by claiming it as theirs simply by modifying it. The end result is the same however, boldly stating " I was here" and/or "See what I have done and it is surely better for it!"

Yes, there are cars being lost, heck, that's been going on since the first car was made. It ISN'T the end of the world, there are plenty of owners that are keeping their car/cars original, How many 41 Buick's are still out there?, plenty, and they ain't going away for a long long time.

I would like to see a THREAD listing cars LOST FOREVER, I'm sure there are some, but not many Buick's I bet, OH, some of the very early ones, but that for the most part occurred many years ago.

I see no reason to lose any sleep over this issue, or get all worked up about. Heck, if at some point your car is the only one left, think of what it will be worth? hehe. Might be something to PRAY about, "LORD PLEASE MAKE MY CAR THE ONLY ONE ON EARTH."

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Not to minimize the gigantic time spent on parts spotting and purchases, Actually , most of the time and money spent in this hobby if you want to do things yourself is setting yourself up to do it right in the first place. When I got my 1st Buick all I had was the car. Did not even have a flat level spot for it to actually sit upon. Had to: Hands-on cause I could not afford others to do it for me and because I knew how: Excavate, level and build retaining walls and create a base pad area. Then came the trucked in 8x10 van storage container to temporarily store it in. Then came the hand, power and air tools. Had to find a real and proper old U.S. built compressor and then bench rebuild that cause I could not afford the dollars to spend on a new "real" compressor. Then came the design and installation of the air manifold system in the garage and all associated accessories. Then the purchase and install of a used BendPak scissors lift. Then the time consuming activity of properly tinting paints to truly match other original components. Then came actually being able to work on the car properly. 4 - years later just finishing the prep to paint the entire frame on a frame on preservation; …. And the beat goes on ….. …. And the beat goes on.