1941 buick brake fluid type ?

Guest buickkuhn

Guest buickkuhn

I am going to be replacing my rubber lines and master cylinder this winter along with a motor rebuild . The question I have is the fluid type to put in the system now , I have added some in the past but it alone was old too (60's) . If it is possible for these old seals to hold up to "dot 3" or if there is something out there I should buy to use . Thank you for any help

The only fluid that was available in the era of your car was DOT3 which is still widely used and available today; also DOT4 is compatible. But if your car was every converted to silicone DOT5 fluid it is incompatible with any of the conventional fluids and would require a complete and comprehensive flushing and cleaning to changeover back to conventional. You can tell by the sniff test - DOT5 silicone is odorless or nearly so. In any case if the current brake fluid is that old, purge it and refill with fresh fluid.

But more important you say you've got "old seals" which you're concerned about. I would NEVER put a car on the road with any questionable seals or components in the brake system!! It's a potential hazard to you and those riding with you and everyone else on the road!