Interior lights

Guest rcaulder

Guest rcaulder

I really need help. I have read the numerous threads on the interior lights but am now more confused. What I have is no dome light. No kick panel lights. No door panel lights. Drivers visor light works. Passenger visor doesn't. I have checked the relay for interior lights, its good.. #2 fuse is good. Drivers door handle activates nothing. Passenger door handle does turn on the dash lights and console as well as interior door handle lights. I have 12v power to both sides of the doom light socket with bulb out, this seems odd. If I ground one side of the dome it turns on the floor lights. My 90 Reatta has only 59,000 miles on it. I read about the wire splices. I just hate to tear apart the interior. Any advice would be helpful.

You may have multiple problems....bad splices, corroded connectors, etc

* visor light..... both R & L get 12v power from the same source.. splice 301 is in the windshield header and splits the power to the Right and Left and to the dome lamp

* Kick panels and door panels (both sides) get 12v from same source (fuse 2) splice 209 (behind IP) courtesy light relay "B" gets involved...it is in the trunk. after the lamps, ground goes to splice 305 which is under passanger seat. some of the above come to splice 214 which is then spliced to 305.

* all the door handle switches go thru splice 323 which is under the passanger seat.

You may not be excited about pulling the passanger seat, but there are several indication that the splices under that seat could be some of your problem. Fixing all the splices eliminates that area and will probably solve some of your problems.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I hate to tell you to tear your interior up but you need to. The visor lights and door handle switches are different circuits than the interior lights, so you have more than one thing going on, but I think it could all be splices under the passenger's seat. Check the circuit information on Ronnie's site to confirm whether you need to pull the driver's seat too.

Guest rcaulder
You may have multiple problems....bad splices, corroded connectors, etc

* visor light..... both R & L get 12v power from the same source.. splice 301 is in the windshield header and splits the power to the Right and Left and to the dome lamp

* Kick panels and door panels (both sides) get 12v from same source (fuse 2) splice 209 (behind IP) courtesy light relay "B" gets involved...it is in the trunk. after the lamps, ground goes to splice 305 which is under passanger seat. some of the above come to splice 214 which is then spliced to 305.

* all the door handle switches go thru splice 323 which is under the passanger seat.

You may not be excited about pulling the passanger seat, but there are several indication that the splices under that seat could be some of your problem. Fixing all the splices eliminates that area and will probably solve some of your problems.

What is the "IP" you referenced Barney?. I do not have a wire schematic. Do you have to pull the console to get the carpet out? I just fear breaking clips and things. Should the dome light have power to both sides with bulb out? I really do appreciate your response .

Guest Mc_Reatta

Carpet doesn't need to come out, just the seat. You can raise the carpet and prop up to get to where you need to get to.

Do need to remove the trim pieces holding the carpet to the sill plate. Starting at the junction about 2/3 s of the to the rear of the door opening, the trim that runs to the front comes up first. Pull the rear edge straight up, then work the front edge by the footwell to the rear to remove. It is only held in place by clips. Work carefully and hopefully nothing snaps. Then you will see a hidden screw that holds the edge of the rear trim piece down. Remove that and pull the trim up as well. Then it's just raise the carpet up from the outside towards the center until you can get the wire race cover off and get at the splices.

It's a PITA, but most of us have gotten thru it OK. Good Luck.