Steering Gear Box DIY Rebuild

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

After a recent overall check up of my car, I was told that the steering gear box is leaking. The garage said that this is more than just replacing a gasket, usually a rebuild box should be installed. Online I found a rebuilt version (USAParts, if I remember correctly) but it is quite pricey, about $400. Is this something that I could do my self to save some money? I did notice that I could not see any rebuild kits for a steering box, while kits for carb, transmission or other items are quite common.

TIA

Stefan

I could rebuild your steering gear as long as it is a rebuildable unit for less then $400 before shipping. Once you get it back it would be backed by a limited lifetime warranty for as long as you own the car.

As far as you rebuilding it yourself, that depends on your mechanical abilities. Have you ever adjusted a steering gear before?

Guest 1951Olds88
I could rebuild your steering gear as long as it is a rebuildable unit for less then $400 before shipping. Once you get it back it would be backed by a limited lifetime warranty for as long as you own the car.

As far as you rebuilding it yourself, that depends on your mechanical abilities. Have you ever adjusted a steering gear before?

Dan, as you might guess from my signature text, no, I do not have steering gear experience. So I will PM you about shipping the box to you.

Thanks

Stefan

I could rebuild your steering gear as long as it is a rebuildable unit for less then $400 before shipping.

Dan, I'm jumping at this topic as I already saw that your company is rebuilding steering boxes. Usually, a "rebuilt" steering gear has almost as much play as before because in a recirculating balls system, the balls are available but not the worm and/or nut.

I'm wondering is you have the possibility to restore those 2 elements (worm and nut) as per OEM specifications?

Roger, We do inspect the worm and ball nut to make sure they're within OEM specifications. If there is too much wear we do have a machine shop here, so we can build up and machine parts to within OEM specification. If they're beyond repair, odds are we will have extra parts here for it. That extra work is beyond our standard rebuild, so there may be extra costs for shop time, parts, ect. Long story short, we can repair almost any issue we run into.

You will not feel any play in our steering gears in the center position. When you turn the input, the output will turn at the same time. Off of center all steering gears have some play. They're designed that way to help the vehicle correct from a turn. The only steering gears this doesn't apply to are the Chrysler power steering gears with a spring loaded control valve. They are designed to have play until there is hydraulic pressure at the control valve. We hydraulically test every power gear we build to ensure that the adjustment is correct, the control valve is operating correctly, and no leaks.

• 8 months later...
Guest 1951Olds88

Dan, as you might guess from my signature text, no, I do not have steering gear experience. So I will PM you about shipping the box to you.

Thanks

Stefan

Dan,

Could you PM me or email me. The rebuilt steering gear box and shaft came back looking great, however the shop is having a problem re-installing it. I have called with your 800 # but the person to whom I spoke was not really able to help. Do you have an "expert" that could talk to the mechanic at the shop to help, please?

Stefan

Edited by 1951Olds88 (see edit history)