What is this engine please ?

Guest obzolete.com

It's almost certainly English or European. Early teens would be my guess. Are there any casting marks on the engine or carburetor? It's probably something that was never seen in North America. What are the threaded fasteners , Metric or Whitworth ?

Greg in Canada

A stationary application makes sense with a clutch mechanism to engage/ disengage the belt system.

It does make sense that this engine was used to drive a flat belt in its current condition, but because of the extensions on the crankcase I think it started life in a vehicle, likely a truck. It is difficult to tell because there is nothing to give us an indication of the size of the engine. It seems odd that there appears to be no identification of any kind on it. Likewise the carburetor. It has a non detachable cylinder head. Most cars had detachable heads by the mid to late teens, trucks not so much. It has no water pump and the water inlet and outlet are quite large. It would have had a magneto driven off the gear on the right side of the engine. The oil pump is on the left rear of the crankcase in front of the flywheel and there appears to be an oil level gauge on the right rear. If the flywheel is original to the engine, that is a massive piece of cast iron which might also hint at a truck application. I think it is a proprietary engine and not one made by a company for use in its own vehicles.

Just my thoughts.

Terry

Guest obzolete.com

Hi

Yes I think it ended up as a stationary engine but it's where it came from and what it started it's life as is the information i need. I think Terry is right about a truck type vehicle.

I'm going to have a real good look at it at the weekend.

Tom

I agree that this engine was probably made in Europe, and pre WW1. But I think it's out of a car, rather than a stationary engine. The way the bottom of the sump is shaped, and the lack of any governor would seem unusual for a stationary engine. Also, knowing if it has Metric or Whitworth threads would help narrow down the country of origin.

Have run this past some of our experts and had following thoughts: Definitely not Alvis, from Alvis Owners. Our veteran experts confirms and suggest: Most certainly not any Alvis. Each valve cap releases both the exhaust and inlet valves (as you would expect, they have v small diameter heads) for that cylinder - a feature of the early 1920s small Peugeots and also Charron. The Solex carburettor also suggests a French make. On a Peugeot Quadrillette engine and from distant memory the crankcase and block were combined in one iron casting - so that make is v unlikely.

Recently saw a an early generator set which had a pretty solid base and otherwise looked similar?

Best we can do at this stage.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Based on vintman's input, I was able to look up a photo of a 1922 Charron charronette (Bonhams). The engine is very similar to this one. It has an aluminum crankcase with extensions to mount it in the frame, separate cast iron cylinder block with non removable cylinder head, four valve caps, carburetor on a short intake pipe and a large heavy flywheel. Obviously a small engine (900 cc ?), so shoots down the idea that it might be a truck engine!

Terry

Guest obzolete.com

Thanks to everyone for the input, are we getting close ??? :confused: I will have a better look at it over the next day or 2, I do have something really good coming in (I do know what it is) I'll post it here on this forum when I have a good look at it as I've bought it blind :(

Guest obzolete.com

Thanks to everyone, I've checked out the 1922 Charron and the Hillman and it looks like both so it must be a car engine from the very early 1900 - 30's, I was beginning to think it was a boat anchor

Tom

Guest buickkuhn

It is amazing to read this posting and realize the knowledge ,input ,and experience you can get from your fingers and the internet . Now to find parts for the motor ?