WTB: 29 Dodge DA carburettor

Guest jimma

I have recently bought a 29 Dodge DA and its a great car seems to be in mostly original condition everything works as it should except the carburettor. I have done some research on this forum and believe it has an Allstate 2405 carb in it and unfortunately it has seen better days and I am in search of a new one. I was wondering if anyone on here might have a Stromberg U2 carb for sale as I believe this is what they orginally came out with or even a carb that might fit to get me going I was told that some Zenith carbs might fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated as It is the only thing that is stopping me from getting the car registered and out on the road. Attached is a photo of the carb that is in it at the moment.

post-103909-143142787655_thumb.jpeg

The bolt measurement for the inlet manifold is roughly 66mm (2.5in) from the centre of each bolt. The throat measurement is 36mm (1.4in).

PM Sent

By the way, the Stromberg U2 may be the correct carb for original application but unless you have deep pockets you may want to stick with aftermarket. Zenith 114 1/2's may work also but again, very rare to find one in salvageable condition which is why I'm suggesting the Tilloston option.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I have looked at some of the other Stomburg carbs I was told the OE-2 fits the Dodge motor to but I haven't been able to find anyone that is willing to sell one.

I have looked at some of the other Stomburg carbs I was told the OE-2 fits the Dodge motor to but I haven't been able to find anyone that is willing to sell one.

That's about a $300-500 solid brass carb depending on condition. I have one but someone has dibs on it already.

Does Larry have a website or email by any chance? I'm here in Australia and with my work the time difference can be a bit hard for calling people.

I found out about the Carter BB-1 and almost got one off ebay but the seller wouldnt ship to Australia so I missed out on it hopefully another one will come up soon. I cant belive out of all the parts I have found for the car the carburettor has been the hardest to find.

My Senior came with a Stromberg TX-2 originally. It took 3 of them to get enough parts to make one working carb. The pot metal was all cracking. The car ran great the whole time in Detroit but as soon as we got home it started leaking fuel. It had cracked between the float bowl and the body. All the other TX-2's I have found have been just as bad and UX-2's are almost impossible to find or very expensive if found. That's why I put a BB1 on the car last month. I did have to make an adapter since the TX-2 flange is transverse and the BB1 is longitudinal but I just machined one out of aluminum. For the Senior I used a BB1 289SD. I just happened to have one in a box of parts I got someplace so I bought a rebuild kit and overhauled it. A slight chance in the throttle linkage was also necessary but it was all pretty easy.

Yes, that is the BB1 but he does not say what model it is. There are differences in throttle openings and hole spacings and also jet sizes. It looks like an early one from the choke linkage. They made BB1 carbs from 1932 into the early 50's so there are a lot of different models of them for various vehicles.

I have a Carter B B 1, model # looks like R R 1 D. The ID tag is a little dented, This is on my 28 Senior 227, with an adapter, It burns a little gas. I have to tweak it a bit. The original carb is a UX-2 pot metal. I bought a reproduction from Cindy for about 14 hundred dollars and transferred the parts from the old one. The B.B.1 cost about 200 dollars from Ebay plus a kit for 50 dollars. Good carburetors are not cheep. Watch out for the sharks. One fellow who is always on this forum offered me "the correct one " for 5000 thousand dollars

• 4 weeks later...
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a Carter BB1 A? Im not sure how to tell the difference between the different BB1 models.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carter-BB-1-Updraft-1950-1957-Chevrolet-Chevy-Cab-Over-COE-Truck-Carburetor-/261659104125?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cec19137d

James

No, it is not a BB-1A.

Jon.