1929 Chevrolet Trunk Rack Questions

Guest BigDogDaddy

Guest BigDogDaddy

I originally posted this over in the Chevy forum, but after several days got no response. So I am trying my luck here because the members here are very knowledgeable about almost everything automotive

My 80 year old dad recently bought himself a 1929 Chevy 2 dr. sedan street rod. He had always wanted a hot rod / street rod and finally bought one. The car runs and drives great, but it needs some work. I went to Hershey this year and got him all of the interior door handles and window handles and a pair of cowl lights. The hood was missing the sides and I found him a complete hood in Hershey.

Dad wants the car to look mostly stock on the outside that is the reason for the full hood, and cowl lights. He would like to get a trunk for the car. It does not have to be the correct trunk for a '29 Chevy, but I would like it to look like belongs on the car. I saw lots of reasonably priced trunks in Hershey, but I had no luck with a trunk rack. I tried to research it online with no definitive answers. I'd like to know how the trunk is mounted on the car and what size it should be. I have seen that some trunks mount on the frame only and some use part of the bumper for support. Does somebody reproduce the rack ? I was thinking of getting a metal trunk because it would be easier and cheaper for me to restore it if need be, and it could be painted to match the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

The original GM trunk racks were pressed steel and mounted with cast steel brackets to the rear frame. I have seen several late 20s cars with fabricated trunk racks made from welded steel "angle iron". The dimensions of the trunk will need to fit within the dimensions of the rack fitted onto the frame. I suggest you just google photos of antique car trunks to get some ideas...

Thanks for the info Mark.

Trunks are a nice add. Do you have bumperettes or a full rear bumper? Not uncommon to have bumperettes with a folding luggage rack or a rear spare tire rack. I aquired the rack from an old parts car years ago send me a PM and I can send you pictures of it close up so you know what your looking for. I have the original luggage rack from the car if that helps. post-53510-143142791161_thumb.jpg

post-30596-14314279349_thumb.jpg

I have lots of trunk rack pictures..... mostly the more exotic ones that fold in half. If you could post a photo of the rear of the car, then we would be able to better recommend how to mount it.

Here are some examples.

The one with the 29 license is a Buick, not sure of the blue car, the black rack is a Ford accessory year unknown

The tan car is a Cord, post-30596-143142793497_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142793485_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142793487_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142793493_thumb.jpg

Guest BigDogDaddy

Wow, thanks for all the info. I will post a picture as soon as I can. We are having a Nor Easter here right now. When the weather clears, I'll take some pics.

Looks like you have room for a non-folding rack Since it is a modified car, unless you have found a complete unit at a good price, I would either make a rack or buy a basic one from a Ford parts supplier.

You will need to keep in mind access to the gas cap. use the rear bumper mounts as the outer support. You might get fancy and make a bumper for the rack....many Packard trunk racks had their own bumper.

I will attach a picture or two of this type of rack.

post-30596-14314280046_thumb.jpg