Something different with "The Show"

DAVES89

I have been having an issue with "The Show" working on a regular basis on the Black. I was having so much trouble about a year ago I did what another guy suggested when testing the wires under the passenger seat. I grounded them. So then I had better luck with it working. But still not 100%

So I tried a the door jamb switch located just in front of the door on the drivers side. I would "pump" it several times and then close the door. It always works after that for a period of time and then be sporadic again. Sometimes the "Show" starts cycling before I even close the door.

Just this afternoon I tried another jamb switch and no improvement. It still works sporadically. I have more switches to try or am I on the wrong path?

Dave,

Try checking the switch in diagnostics while repeatedly making/breaking the switch and see if the switch input follows the physical state 100% of the time. I've noticed as it gets cooler sometimes the doorjamb switches get a bit flaky on both my 88's.

If it cycles reliably between on and off by the CRT readout then the problem is clearly elsewhere. If not, try another switch. I suppose there is a remote chance the BCM input that reads the switch state could be screwed up but that seems rather unlikely.

KDirk

I'll do the tests per Ronnie's website tomorrow. But if it is the switch on the handle I will wait until I have another reason to go in the door. I just had my buddy fix the door locks. [it was the the lever that holds the plastic clip the two rods connect to] At that time I also installed front speakers from the '88 I bought to part out.

I get the show about 60-70% of the time. It works 100% on the Red so having/not having the Show on the Black isn't that important. It's kind of like opening up a box of Cracker Jacks [remember them?] You just don't know what you will get, the Show, just the odometer, or nothing.

It makes it interesting to get in the car.

BTW high of 50 degrees today, still washed the Black, and detailed the wheels/tires...

Well I checked my codes and they all go "hi" "low" so I am going to table it for now. I used the car door 4 times this morning getting in/out of the car plus my testing and it works 75% of the time so I am just going to wait for it to get worse.

I will let the gremlin have the upper hand on this for now...

• 2 months later...

Heres what's funny. On my scrub 88 sometimes the door handle switch on the driver side won't make unless I hold the door handle up briefly (rather than pulling it up and releasing it immediately as normal). This is most common in cold weather, and easier to note at night as it clear to see when the courtesy lights and odometer come on (or don't).

Since the door handle switch is triggered by a magnet it must be a reed switch, or maybe a hall-effect switch (haven't gutted one to see for certain). I would postulate that either the magnet is getting weak or the switch is sticking (if it is a mechanical reed switch) and keeping the handle pulled up for a second compensates for this and causes the switch to close.

KDirk