Car shows

Rogillio

I drove into town for a charity car show. No entry fee just donations. It was scheduled for 11 till 3. I got there about 10:45 Mae my donation and set up a canvas chair. By 1130 there were a lot of cars there and I wondered around.

Occasionally people show an interest in my car and I'd share some DB trivia or let the kids honk the horn.

By 1245 I was bored to tears! I was just sitting there listening to a really awful band of amateur 'musicians' who sang off key.

i decided I'd had enough and left. IF (big if) I ever go to another car show I will take the car there and then leave and come back for the last half hour to see which cars won. My car is a very rough work in progress and I don't expect to 'win' anything.

I prefer going to our local impromptu car shows that are not for the public, have no entry fee or forms and rely on the grapevine for participants. We generally get 50 or so veteran, vintage and classis cars of all types so the problem of Club cliques is avoided. There are no 'prizes' although a car of the day is sometimes chosen by everyone having a vote. For me though, the best bit is that you can come and go as you please because as it is not an organised show, the restrictive regulations are difficult to enforce. If someone turns up with a highly modified car they are welcome but not taken too seriously. We all find plenty to chat about while enjoying a pie and a pint while the wags natter about other stuff.

Ray.

Mike, why don't you organise an impromptu show of your own for next year. No need for public. Forget about competition. Give priority to original cars over 'rods' and oily rag over concours. Pass the word around other like minded people. You might only get a few turn up but once the word goes around that it's a gathering of friends rather than competitors - and on a regular basis - it might catch on. If it flops you will have lost nothing. Just a crazy idea.

Ray.

Mike, why don't you organise an impromptu show of your own for next year. No need for public. Forget about competition. Give priority to original cars over 'rods' and oily rag over concours. Pass the word around other like minded people. You might only get a few turn up but once the word goes around that it's a gathering of friends rather than competitors - and on a regular basis - it might catch on. If it flops you will have lost nothing. Just a crazy idea.

Ray.

I love it! Might give it a try.

we had some guys do something similar here in Australia. Each Sunday they would go to this particular coffee shop for "coffee and cake". They have mustangs. now all sorts of cars turn up......not a show but a get together where you can just walk around and look at cars and talk to the owners. I'm off next weekend the the Motorclassica at the exhibition buildings. Google it and you'll see what I mean. I make a point of going each year as there are some very nice and unusual cars there.

SoCal Speedshop has local "Coffee & Donuts Shoe Box Swap Meets" on some Saturdays.

They open the parking lot up to any kind of Antique/Vintage cars and trucks and guys just BS all day. You can either show your car, sell stuff in a swap meet format, talk about any topic of the day or just walk around and enjoy it all....

http://www.hi-winderscarclub.org/photos/2014_photos/so_cal_speed_shop/so_cal_speed_shop_2014.htm

These events are for both the purist and the hotrodders alike.

I've seen original cars dated back to the 20's for sale and for show and Hotrods into the 70's so it covers the whole spectrum of the hobby. Of course since it's SoCal Speedshop there is more of the gofast stuff but it's still nice to get together with such a diverse group of guys.

Ratrodders are usually frowned upon by most of us but they do show up from time to time and are welcome also.