Polish or patina?

Rogillio

post-100407-143142785056_thumb.jpg

OK, so I polished up the caps. Seem to be nickel plated and shined up like a new penny...uh...nickel. The one in the center has bullet holes in it and I supposed those were from a Bonny and Clyde bank job....so I kept the original patina on it.

So the question is, did I help/hurt the historical value of the car by polishing the hub caps?

~Mike

post-100407-143142785053_thumb.jpg

You got me there Mike because I had always assumed they were aluminium (or aluminum as you guys say). If you saw the state of mine I don't know what you would say - they are in pretty rough condition and painted black!!. Mine need replacing but other things need sorting first so they are pretty well down on the list. If they are supposed to be nickel and polished then it's the first I have seen but it makes no difference to the overall value of the car and probably won't get noticed unless you are a pot hunter looking to please judges at a concourse show. These caps are often advertised on ebay (there are several different types, and not all interchangeable, but they are also available new from usual suppliers but at a price!.

I'm still coming to terms with you guys and guns! There seem to be bullet holes all over the place!:)

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276120[/ATTACH]

OK, so I polished up the caps. Seem to be nickel plated and shined up like a new penny...uh...nickel. The one in the center has bullet holes in it and I supposed those were from a Bonny and Clyde bank job....so I kept the original patina on it.

So the question is, did I help/hurt the historical value of the car by polishing the hub caps?

~Mike

I believe your caps are just aluminum. It will polish up like nickel.

Mine were in tarnished state, so after cleaning, I sprayed them with an aluminum rattle can. Now they look great, and much like the original aluminum!!

For some reason I had it in my head they didn't use aluminum back then. Guess I'm wrong.

So what is aluminum rattle?

They look good polished but become dull after they oxidize. Brass will loss its luster also. Can the surface be painted with a clear paint to save finish?

That's a good question. I know for a fact that aluminium needs an etch primer before a colour coat but whether a clear coat can be applied directly to the polished surface I don't know. I am thinking perhaps poly... varnish maybe?

Where's Jason Anderson when you need him?

Ray.

Eastwood did sell Nyalic labeled as such but a few years ago they either changed the product or relabeled it with their own label and product name. I have used it under both labels with equal results so believe it is still Nyalic. GREAT STUFF. Maintains polish finish on anything. Check this tab: http://www.nyalic.com/automotive/ I also used it to seal forever a signature that an important figure to my car placed on the air cleaner housing.

post-57494-14314278977_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...