Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Model A

gwells

Thought I would post here to let folks know that I am shortly embarking on a long trip to drive my newly-purchased 1930 Standard Tudor from Oregon to the Atlanta area, a roughly 2,700 mile excursion. Some (many?) of you reading this may question my sanity, but a trip of this nature has been on my "bucket list" for a long time and at age 60, it's time to check something off. My older son (age 34) will be following me in a modern "chase car" with spares, tools, and our other gear.

I have started a trip "blog", which I hope to be able to update with commetary and pictures on a daily basis, at my hobby website, slotblog.net. Here's a link:

Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Ford

Comments and discussion are encouraged in the related subforum, but not in the trip narrative itself. The discussion subforum has been permissioned so anyone can start topics or post replies there; registration is not required. Here's a link to the open subforum:

Oregon to Georgia trip discussion

I look forward to meeting other Model A enthusiasts during our journey, but we're still refining our exact route (with the help of that Classic-driving maniac Don Peterson, the erstwhile AACA editor's father) and the itinerary will largely be freelanced day by day. Our progress can be followed at the first link given above, where more info about the trip can already be found.

We plan to head north in our modern car before dawn this Sunday, i.e. in two days and hope to start south with the Tudor leading the way the following Friday.

Greg Wells

Norcross, GA

Edited by gwells (see edit history)

Dave, I did post at FordBarn, thanks.

And the potential support of the Model A community makes me feel very comfortable. In my experience, the entire old car community is equally supportive.

Trying to leave Atlanta for Oregon before dawn tomorrow morning and still have so much to do!

Meeting Don Peterson at noon to receive his advice regarding the best routes to utilize on the way back. I told him he was going to have to tell me which roads to take. He protested that, no, he'd only advise me. I insist he has to pick 'em for me, so if we run into problems, I will be be able to blame him! LOL!

It's going to be a busy day...

Tonight I will hear the younger son play tuba with the Emory University Symphony Orchestra. It seems somehow appropriate that the final piece will be Dvořák's New World Symphony.

Started back to Atlanta with the 1930 Model A Tudor before lunch today. Made it to Bend, OR, and found the water pump packing leaking copiously so have to attend to that in the AM, but a little problem like that won't deter us. LOL!

We're arrived Denver with the Model A on Friday and except for a persistent water pump leak that has us tightening the packing nut and adding water regularly, we're doing fine. Gonna stay two nights in Denver again, just to to rest up before continuing on.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not to have been posting here very much...

We arrived back in Atlanta on Tuesday, Nov 11, at a little before 9 PM.

There were several challenges toward the end of our homeward trip, all of which have been detailed in the daily trip reports I posted at Slotblog.

Here's a link to the forum with the reports. Best if you start at the bottom and read them in chronological order.

Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Ford