41 buick 248 babbit bearings

Guest buickkuhn

Guest buickkuhn

I am a first time babbit bearing looker . This is my baby bought her in 2000 and now the 248ci motor is taken apart for work to be done ,but I am on the hunt for someone to do the babbitting crank and rod bearings . I know I can get the 49 1/2 / 50 rods to have press in bearings or even have my rods notched to accept the press ins . The crank still main bearings done . I am located in oakland county Michigan 48371 and looking for the shop or person that can help in this getting done . I also e mailed Harts machine shop in cicel ohio on a tip from another forum person . If you have had this done and by who also how much $ because I am trying to set a budget up for the project for this winter . Thank you

post-103843-143142784738_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142784741_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142784743_thumb.jpg

post-103843-14314278477_thumb.jpg

I have a `41 248 super engine I just went thru. I updated the rods to the insert type, they were $40ea exchange, thru Terrill Machine Shop in De Leon, Texas.. The mains in my engine were insert type, not babbitt like the rods, approx. $100 per set, I bought at the same place.. The rods fit perfect without having to be shimmed like the babbitt rods, mains still have to be shimmed for correct clearance.. Also be careful, all the main journals are different diameter.. Also the timing marks on the cam/crankshaft gears are clocked at 3 o`clock with 11 links between the marks, not the normal 6 and 12 0`clock like most engines.. Good luck Tom

I did the very same thing on my '41 Roadmaster, which has the 320 engine. I believe that all the '41s have insert mains and babbit rods. Don't know why, as it seems a bit odd, but it must of made sense at the time. I also had the rods modified for inserts by Terrill Machine, and have been very happy with the results. The original babbit was still within spec for wear, but apparently it can start to fail due to fatigue after many miles, years, and dirt being pounded into it. Since I was building my car to a good driver, I wanted good reliable engine. I've done about 4,000 miles in 2 1/2 summers, so far so good!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Keith

Guest buickkuhn

Those 2 post were helpful .Thank you for letting me know what you had done I will be contacting that machine shop on monday .

Guest buickkuhn
Main bearings are semi-finished inserts until mid-1947. That means a machine show has to fit them to the crankshaft I believe.

Ok - I did remove a middle main cap and it had a press in bearing still very soft material .The only markings is a capital " M " .I have found myself going into the garage and telling the buick you will be better ,this is for the better . As if the garage was a hospital ...

post-103843-143142789359_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142789362_thumb.jpg

Guest buickkuhn

To make the car last as long as it has , the factory and past owners did a good job to my 41 buick . Now it is my turn to contribute to making it last . Also so I can get back to driving it more often .So this process of trying to learn all the little tricks and the different shops to use is like a quest the buick and I are on .

Guest buickkuhn
Terrill Machine Inc. Feltz Terrill 254 893 2610 Tom
Thank you for the tip I ended up with a email reply before I called , that in itself is amazing . I will be dealing with them as soon as I get the engine out .