Wanted: Trans adapter for 1949 Plymouth

Oldtimelampshop

Hello. I'm searching for an adapter for my 1949 Plymouth. So I can install an Automatic Transmission with my original 6cyl engine.

I did that back in the seventies. I know of no adaptors, but then there was no internet either. All I can say you will need to do some accurate measuring all taken from the

center line of the crank. I choose a one piece alum Ford think is was from a Mavrick or something reson being the starter bolts to the trans. Ford flex plate & converter.

I hate to say you need a milling machine to mill (I think it was 3/16) plate. Located the block bolt holes using the origional bell housing. These were counter sunk for

allen screws loctighted in. The fun part is centering the trans to the plate. New bolt holes drilled in the flex plate for the crank, installed and converter mounted. More

fun comes measuring the distance block to converter/converter to transmission = you may have to machine a thicker plate for that dimention. Then you gonna have to

go to 12vts there are no 6vt 3 bolt Ford starters. Then we added a rear crossmember. With that done, sorry to say you will have to change the rear end. We used the

same rear as the trans. Mavrick or Comet but the Plymouth wheels bolt right on the Ford axle brake line screwed right in used the Ford drive shaft. Put a Napa tranny cooler

And It worked well, we did have to use a emerg. brake from the donner and spliced the speedometer cable. This is all do- able ...

STANDARD shift rear end gears DO NOT work with an automatic. The good side was a nice high way cruise and better brakes. Or maybe keep on the watch for an automatic

from a 6 cyl up to 1959 far as i know the rear of these blocks are the same . Maybe a 1955 that didnt use push buttons, and the starter was 6vts

sam that project was fun & the car still exists

I used to have a link to a company that made many different types of adaptors for various engines-transmission swaps. Of course I cannot find it now but I am pretty sure I found the link on either the Plymouth Owners Club site or the P15/D24 site. You might want to search their histories and see what turns up. If I can find it again I will post it.

Here it is:

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)