Alright 1st - 4th Gen Riv guys. I have an answer to your too light of steering issue.

dan at larescorp

Hi everyone,

I have received many emails, and PM's about Riviera steering gears. Lot's of people saying that their steering is "too easy", or "light".

The only way we've had to fix that problem is to put in a newer style 10:1 ratio (2.5 turn lock to lock) steering gear. The problem with using this gear is that the case is smaller. This causes the gear not to turn as far as the stock gear. Which means you need a parking lot or football field to turn around.

You could also switch you internals to variable ratio. While that does help, it still feels kind of light in comparison to a newer style box.

We now offer a brand new Delphi 670 series steering gear. It's 17.5:1 ratio (just over 4 turns). It has a much larger torsion bar to give you a firm feel steering, without sacrificing turning radius, or turns lock to lock.

If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me or give me a call at the number listed below.

Thanks guys!

post-84610-14314278385_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142783845_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142783847_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142783848_thumb.jpg

Edited by dan@larescorp (see edit history)

Wow, the fingertip light steering is what I love about driving my Riviera the most......I hate the power steering on my late model cars where I feel

like I'm engaging a Sumo Wrestler to turn my steering wheel. What I'd like to see is a box to make my late model cars have fingertip steering!

Most late model cars are equipped with rack and pinion steering. This gear is not to be mistaken with that. They're a completely different feel when driving.

The input shaft on this type of steering gear is made up of 2 pieces. The first is the section is the is the splined outer piece the rag joint bolts to. Then there's the torsion bar. It goes through the center of the input, and is what attaches the input to the ball nut inside of the gear.

The torsion bar flexes. This is needed to keep the steering gear from jerking the wheel out of your hands every time your car hits a bump that turns the wheels a bit. The smaller the torsion bar, the more flex you have in the input. This is what causes these full size Rivs to feel like your chasing the wheel back and forth, or having a light feel. It makes the steering fell less responsive. The improved design I listed above has a larger torsion bar. This helps eliminate some of the flex in the input shaft giving you a more responsive feel. It doesn't make it any more difficult to turn. The more responsive it is, the firmer feel of steering.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

cool57- The Delphi boxes are $599.99 +S&H

Darrell- If you use a 2.5 turn lock to lock box you would lose turning radius. With the original gear you can put variable ratio internals to help the steering feel a bit firmer. It's not like the box listed above, but it helps. Cost to either rebuild your gear to stock, or to use variable ratio internals is $204.75 +S&H. As long as you have a rebuildable gear. If the sector shaft is twisted,or something that will require us to use another core to be able to rebuild it there can be extra cost. If we find anything like that we'll call you right away so you can make a decision as to what you would like to do.