1950 Desoto Parked and Hit

bill pritchett

What a shame is right, that baby looked cherry!

Never ceases to amaze me some of the accidents that happen. A few weeks ago we had a guy go in the ditch in front of my house. He crossed over the oncoming lane on a straight stretch of road, went down into a 6ft ditch, and landed on the side of the car. Never tried to brake at all!

That car's a total. No way it's ever getting fixed, not with a value of less than $15,000.

Reading the comments in the article, I'm always amused by people saying how they can't believe how the old "tank" got so wadded up and the modern "tin can" looks so good. That's the advance of technology keeping occupants safe. The sheetmetal bends so you don't have to!

There was a comment below one of the articles that showed a picture of the van hitting the side of the car. What they said cracked me up. It said;

"Why was that van trying to drive the Desoto?"

To which someone else replied

"Because it wanted to be in de photo"

The rest of the story is a very sad one, but that simple bit of humor made me laugh.

You are so correct Matt....after serving many years in the fire / rescue field, I've seen first hand the affects of collisions involving full perimeter frame vehicles compared to unit body vehicles... we called it the "accordion effect"...the vehicle absorbs the energy in the unit body compared to the occupants in the frame vehicle absorbing the energy...

Steve

So why was the full framed Crown Victoria the overwhelming car of choice for police departments for over twenty years?

Comfort and room for the Officer. Also lots of room for the stuff they had to carry and assorted lawbreakers to haul to jail. Performance as well and better handling than SUVs that were the other option.

Guest AlCapone
Good bumpers, grille, lots of trim and the power train should be ok. Find a rust free 2 door or coupe and get her back on the road. The real shame would be if this all just gets crushed.

I could not agree with you more !

Wayne

The photos in the article strongly suggest otherwise...

Be safe in your old cars, guys!

In the Desoto's defense, the van did hit it hard enough that it came off of the ground. She must have been cruising at a good clip to make that happen. I don't know how well a modern car would have held up to a side impact like that. I'm sure a bit better, but who knows.