trim pieces

Guest p38nut

I have several trim pieces which have come off partially or completely. How do you remove the old adhesive from the car or the trim? What do you use to put it back on with? I've tried several types of double-sided tape, but can't find the right combination.

Thanks. Mike.

I have several trim pieces which have come off partially or completely. How do you remove the old adhesive from the car or the trim? What do you use to put it back on with? I've tried several types of double-sided tape, but can't find the right combination.

Thanks. Mike.

For removing adhesive from paint, sometimes you use a heat gun, sometimes a chemical cleaner, sometimes you need to use heat and a high speed buffer with compound and sometimes all three. It depends on what and where, so it would be nice to know which trim pieces you're fighting with.

What and where is pretty much the same question for attaching. Weather strip adhesive for weatherstrip, a couple of different types of trim tape for trim and different adhesives you can use in place of tape for repairs.

Big secret to getting things to attach is having a good clean surface and when it comes to using any adhesive, especially tape to re-install body side trim, the trim has to fit the body, bent, bowed, warped doesn't work well with tape. See that you also have a posting for the soft top window hinge and for making things stick and stay on glass, it needs to be really clean.

It would be helpful if you identify the specific trim piece that is coming off so that the correct approach can be taken to put it back on. A previous owner of the car may have done a quick fix to sell the car and that is why it is now coming off.

It would be helpful if you identify the specific trim piece that is coming off so that the correct approach can be taken to put it back on. A previous owner of the car may have done a quick fix to sell the car and that is why it is now coming off.

They are both the side of the door trim pieces. PO died and then willed it to a friend of yours. He did not change these. We bought it from him.

Agree with digger.

On these parts I would first put chemical then heat.

go to parts store there is a spray by 3m that works great. Just spray along the top edge let the chemical soak down. I would then add heat to remove if you do not have a heat gun a hair dryer will work just fine. (Just don't tell your wife you took her hair dryer out to use on your car)