1904 Maxwell

MochetVelo

Well, by all accounts, the early Maxwells were fine automobiles.

However, though ten such cars were built in 1904, and hundreds in 1905, they'd ALL considered 1905.

London to Brighton is pre-1905, so somehow it would have to be proved that this is one of the first ten, and have them approve it to run the course.

Oops, just read rest of description, they approved it as a 1904, which doesn't seem possible...

The other major problem with this car is that my name's not on the title....oh well...(side note that windshield would go in the trash bin).....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

The early Maxwells have available factory records to show production and numerical engine numbering. The start of Maxwell production was in November of 1904 with 3 cars built, December 1904 there were 2 built. These were H,s and were considered to be 1905 models. They continued building the H into '05 reaching a total of 232 H cars from November to July 1905. The L cars (runabouts) also started in November with 1 car built, and 4 in December. The L cars also were produced until July 1905. Of note is the L cars all had wooden frames, the H cars were steel. The steel frame was put under the L cars in the model year 1906. The engines of these cars 1905 H,s and L,s were consecutively numbered.

It appears the engine number in Bonhams description is from a 1906 model build date. Many times things happen to change things for different purposes. With out a hands on inspection by a notable marque authority it must be accepted as advertised. It is a very handsome,well presented car and I am sure the new owner will be happy. I have never driven an H but have been a passenger in one. I do have a restored '05 L wooden frame runabout, serial #49 built in March of 1905. Also politics plays an important part in whether you can get certified/qualify for the London to Brighton. ---Bob

Bob, I almost mentioned politics but at the last minute didn't...agree that there is some wiggling done to get certain cars on the L to B run....this is a wonderful car for sure...but my opinion, as you confirm, not quite early enough for that run, but surely early enough to fit in my garage!

Hi Phil, the serial # is usually stamped on one or two of three spots on the '05 L,s. It can be found on the differential pinion gear case, on a small diagonal sheet metal body brace under the seat frame (driver side), or on the engines valve case motion cover.

The late Tom Thoburn noted authority and author on early Maxwells also found his '05 serial number prick-punched on the back side of the cast steel front cross member. --Bob

The newest one I've heard was "Break My Windows" back and that was back in the 80's when it was fun to bash yuppies. You just don't hear many these days.

I heard a new one last year. Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.

Also, Ford = Found on Road Dead as well, or the F bomb and 'old rebuilt Dodge'.

Pontiac has a very un-PC one, but cannot mention it here. (The C in Pontiac refers to Cadillac).

Any others? I have always found these to be amusing!

• 2 weeks later...