41 buick special str8 with tri power and headers

Guest buickkuhn

Guest buickkuhn

I built this intake and headers myself to get away from the broken exhaust manifolds (both single and the dual exhaust manifolds ) I ran the compound set up for 10 years of owning the car since 2000 . The tri power holley 94's works great along with the headers that I made from a sbc block hugger weld up kit . I love to work my baby , now I am facing babbitted bearings and the other things that come with a 248ci straight eight . I am excited to finally be on this forum have seen it in a lot of google searches ,but never came to the other side . Thank you for being here on my computer screen .

post-103843-143142783615_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142783642_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142783669_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142783696_thumb.jpg

Guest buickkuhn

I had to make you tube video to sell the original compound set up I was running ,then made a video of the tri power set up running .

. then the new set up .

Guest buickkuhn

I got three decent rides out of it about 20 min each (not including warm up time) , and started smoking more at idle then still had a hard time starting when hot . This not starting when hot was the reason that I built the intake and headers , The original set ups had cracks in the exhaust manifolds . when I had CARS inc rebuild the water pump I found that the motor never had a thermostat since I owned the car . I thought this was going to help too . A sensitive engine gave up the ghost when I completed this intake and exhaust set up . Now the motor is tore apart with bad babbit bearings and head needing reconditioned . this winter she is going to get that love attention .

post-103843-143142784705_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142784708_thumb.jpg

post-103843-143142784711_thumb.jpg

Guest buickkuhn
Nice job! And welcome to this Forum. Do you still run the car? Do you ever calculate the fuel economy?

Before the tri power set up I had a single carter carb for a year or so got 6-8 mpg /// then went to the compound carb set up factory stuff 6 mpg . I am hoping for better fuel millage after the engine is rebuilt and freshened up . The way it stands now the head was bad valve guides , lots of build up on the valves , already had the 5/8" washer under inner spring , piston rings were in spec ,but cylinders look chromed , and babbit material on rods was galled up and loose . I am looking forward and dreaming of driving her next summer :cool:

Guest buickkuhn
Nice job! Cool that the header is 5/8 3/8. Couldn't see that from the photos. (5 cylinders on one "half", 3 cylinders on the other...)

I will admit that was out of ease to get the pair built . Most people are building there own headers for performance , mine were to get away from the cracking of the exhaust manifolds . Later I found out when doing the water pump that there was no thermostat just the flow restricter . This is what was (very likely) causing the unstable temps on the manifolds to fatigue then crack . After I got the motor running with the new intake and exhaust set up and new water pump along with a 160 degree thermostat - the entire block and head (front to back ) had within 10 degrees same temp . I now am thinking that the simple removal of a thermostat is not the fix to a hot engine .

• 1 month later...

If you are still working on your engine, I might suggest getting ahold of a set of connecting rod for a late 40's, early 50's 248 C.I. straight 8. they are the same but use insert bearings like modern cars instead of the babbited rods. It gives you a little more flexibility. I like your set up. Did it help performance? Jim BCA#3566

Guest buickkuhn

JIM, That is what I am thinking to get them on exchange from Terrill out of Texas . Yes it did improve the power and smooth acceleration (very little throttle lots of acceleration ) , the only factor being that I was worried about smoking my original style clutch that I installed in 2005 . I am thinking of going to a different style of material for the clutch after the rebuild - maybe it won't be so soft cushion feeling . More research of course .

I'm really surprised at your very poor mileage. Even my big '38 Roadmaster (stock) gets a touch over 11 mpg at highway speeds.

Really cruddy valves like that used to be pretty common. I havnt seen that in years.

Be sure to knock out all the freeze plugs and rigorously clean out the water jacket in both the block and head. Typically there is a lot of buildup that causes a hot running engine.

Guest buickkuhn

That is the way I'm thinking (thanks for the tip on the freeze plugs its on the TO DO list) is once your at this stage - make everything good . That way the car is getting what it desires too . The love and attention that it deserves on every start up along with a cruise around town .