ohms resistance of 34 plymouth fuel guage

Guest Lynn Wicker

Guest Lynn Wicker

I am restoring my fuel guage and need to know what the ohms resistance is for the 34 plymouth units is? I need to match up a tank sending unit for proper operation. I have appreciatied the generosity of members sharing their knowledge.

Thank you.

Thank you One Shot. The article is just what I needed.

Where are you located?

If you are reasonably near me, I've built a box with a switch and some resistors to test the ohm range needed by the dash unit. I strongly suspect the '34 is the same range as the '33 but you never really know until you measure it.

Guest Lynn Wicker
Where are you located?

If you are reasonably near me, I've built a box with a switch and some resistors to test the ohm range needed by the dash unit. I strongly suspect the '34 is the same range as the '33 but you never really know until you measure it.

I am near Seattle. I tested the tank unit and and if I did it correctly it was approximately 50 full and 150 emty. This is a cork float unit sold years ago by Tanks Inc. I am told I should replace it with an even newer model (cork free because of alchohol in modern fuel?). So I need to match up requirements of the dash unit to a new sender. I figured there would be a spec for the dash unit but testing certainly would be the thing to do.

Thank you for your help

I am near Seattle. I tested the tank unit and and if I did it correctly it was approximately 50 full and 150 emty. This is a cork float unit sold years ago by Tanks Inc. I am told I should replace it with an even newer model (cork free because of alchohol in modern fuel?). So I need to match up requirements of the dash unit to a new sender. I figured there would be a spec for the dash unit but testing certainly would be the thing to do.

Thank you for your help

Seattle is a bit far for me for a quick visit to check your dash unit's range. :)

If your existing sending unit worked okay before and not doesn't but still seems to smoothly change resistances when you move the arm then it could just be that the float needs to be replaced. You should be able to find one fairly easily.

Guest Lynn Wicker
Seattle is a bit far for me for a quick visit to check your dash unit's range. :)

If your existing sending unit worked okay before and not doesn't but still seems to smoothly change resistances when you move the arm then it could just be that the float needs to be replaced. You should be able to find one fairly easily.

The rest of the story: the tank is new, new sending unit benched tested ohms, dash unit has been out of the car 45 years and is probably the culprit. Combined the two for bench test and dash unit did not respond so am sending it to a local instrument expert for reconditioning and then I will try again. He wanted the ohm information on the quage. I am also checking Tanks Inc, the vender for the tank and sender for their ohm information. it will be interesting as I am sure there are others who are going through this and I will post developments