1924 Buick Speedometer Help Needed

JerryVan

Yup, I know these are a lost cause. However, I bought one in Hershey that seems to show a little hope. I figured the fact that the trip odometer works is a good sign. Taking it apart, I find that everything is in great shape, except for the pot metal casting that supports the speed indicator drum. All the other pot metal is excellent. Is it possible that anyone has a speedo with a good drum support casting?

Yup, I know these are a lost cause. However, I bought one in Hershey that seems to show a little hope. I figured the fact that the trip odometer works is a good sign. Taking it apart, I find that everything is in great shape, except for the pot metal casting that supports the speed indicator drum. All the other pot metal is excellent. Is it possible that anyone has a speedo with a good drum support casting?

I have had a similar problem on the speedometer on my 24/34 roadster and managed to save the fragile pot metal casting by coating it with epoxy resin using a small brush. If you try to dis-assemble the mechanism without doing this it will all just crumble to dust.

I feel your pain!

I know I would not want to try to operate on my AC unit unless I had a known good replacement. Which doesn't seem to exist. Ah.... the miracle material of the 1920s ...DIE CAST. I purchased a Master unit AC just to try to explore and see what could be done. The drum support yolk. That's my term. Which is what was bad in this one and I do not know if they are interchangeable with my Standard AC style. The photos show the cracking. I am attempting to make a 3-D CAD model of it and see if we can do a 3-D print (Rapid Prototype) of it. I will have to play with the sizes since the original is so warped. Stay tuned.

post-79073-143142785144_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142785135_thumb.jpg

Guest 22Coupe

JerryVan,

You might want to send it to Bob's Speedometer in Howell, MI. I sent my Stewart Model 160 out of my '22 Buick and it had a cracked frame in 3 places. It took a couple months, but it was repaired as I asked and on budget including shipping and insurance to me. It took longer than expected, but the performance of the speedometer was great! I would use them again. Which might be soon. They ended up locating another good frame which he said was hard to find for my model so maybe that was why it took longer? There is a saying: Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to throw something into this thread - who knows it might help. I like Larry's idea about the 3D printing. This very well could be the answer to some of these old die cast parts problems. However, in the meantime you might try Russ Furstnow down in Flagstaff, Arizona. You can reach him at (928) 526-1343 or email at 1stnow@msn.com I am in no way saying or implying anything against the fellow in Michigan - it's just that I know Russ and the quality of his restoration work. There is a pretty good probability that he might have the part that you are needing to get your head back up and running. It sure is worth an ask.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas