2015 VA beach meet

carrfixr

If I buy another car (possibly tomorrow) I may or may not show it, but will likely be transporting it via the Virginia Beach Meet. I'll gladly cover the $25 to store my car and trailer in a secure location for the several days we'll be in attendance, even if we are only judging.....

Cheap Insurance for the equipment and car, in my opinion....

That's a rationalization. Cheap or not has nothing to do with whether the charge is warranted, necessary, or fair. In years past trailer parking in a secure location was provided at no cost. What has changed that all of a sudden we MUST be charged? I can think of no other reason than parking was perceived to be an easy cash cow.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I would rather pay to have my car safe and secure than to leave it on the street or the hotel parking area where bad things can and do happen. It is a plus that we can go to the museum and see all the exhibits and things they have to offer. I do not see the fee as excessive or a burden. See you all there.

post-48480-143143055946_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143143055949_thumb.jpg

You miss the point. The simple question is............If secure trailer parking was provided in the past at no charge why is it necessary to charge now other than "because we can". Whether anyone is willing to pay it, or not, is also beside the point. BTW, you could still do all the other stuff, and more, if you had an extra $25 in your pocket..............Bob

I just got a message from one of their club members. The facility is VERY SECURE, with locked gates at night, and some very expensive aircraft on site. Why steal an antique car when you can steal a vintage multi-million dollar aircraft? That was a joke guys. :)

Someone will give you more details later, but generally, when you check in for your registration packet, you will get the hours of the gate operation. This is a large military style facility, so the Tidewater Region was very fortunate in being able to use it.

Wayne

Edited by R W Burgess
it needed a smilie, can't have too many smilies! (see edit history)

Bob, you gave me the opportunity to expound a little on national shows. First, they cost money. Look at the registration for every national show (non-AGNM). The $30 you pay goes to national, not the local club and it helps a bit to pay for the trophies, shipping, etc. Virtually all our trophies cost double to quadruple the price of registration so national loses on every car show without a large flea market or car corral. Again, the local clubs get zero. So, in some cases the local region or chapter may elect to charge for parking but as Wayne said the biggest culprit is the venue. We urge every meet to try and find free parking but it is not always possible. Easy in, say Auburn but much harder when you are dealing with municipalities or private land owners.

Since most of the national board shows a car from time to time they are well aware of the escalating costs of banquets and just the sheer cost for people to travel to meets. It is something that the liaisons from national bring up to the sponsoring regions but there are times that everyone has their hands tied. It is not as easy to say, well, if the place is too expensive go elsewhere. We do not have an overabundance of regions raising their hands to host a meet. Regions are trying to find creative ways that they do not go into the hole and national certainly does not want to see a region lose money.

From my perspective, most regions barely squeak by financially when all is said and done.

The South Jersey Region will be hosting the 2016 Eastern Spring meet next May. We have negotiated a contract with the New Jersey Motorsports race track. This gives us access to their facilities for three days. Included in the very expensive rental fee are trailer and camping areas and use of the track for 10 parade laps. The judging breakfast and awards banquet will be on property. Which is a nice logistical feature. We will be charging a nominal fee for trailer and camping facilities with hook ups. We are hoping this will allow us to brake even on this large meet. :cool:

Bob, you gave me the opportunity to expound a little on national shows. First, they cost money. Look at the registration for every national show (non-AGNM). The $30 you pay goes to national, not the local club and it helps a bit to pay for the trophies, shipping, etc. Virtually all our trophies cost double to quadruple the price of registration so national loses on every car show without a large flea market or car corral. Again, the local clubs get zero. So, in some cases the local region or chapter may elect to charge for parking but as Wayne said the biggest culprit is the venue. We urge every meet to try and find free parking but it is not always possible. Easy in, say Auburn but much harder when you are dealing with municipalities or private land owners.

Since most of the national board shows a car from time to time they are well aware of the escalating costs of banquets and just the sheer cost for people to travel to meets. It is something that the liaisons from national bring up to the sponsoring regions but there are times that everyone has their hands tied. It is not as easy to say, well, if the place is too expensive go elsewhere. We do not have an overabundance of regions raising their hands to host a meet. Regions are trying to find creative ways that they do not go into the hole and national certainly does not want to see a region lose money.

From my perspective, most regions barely squeak by financially when all is said and done.

Thank you for your reply, Steve.

I fully understand that costs are escalating and must be met. I'm also ALL FOR the local sponsoring club making a profit as both a thank you and to encourage other clubs to step up. I also understand the cost of trophies. To that end, you might remember, I have declined most trophies other than the grill badge, so as not to burden the AACA.

All that being said, the imposition of a substantial trailer parking fee strikes me as discriminatory and lets say a bit of profiteering on the very members that ARE the club.

It's discriminatory because it imposes a fee on out of area members who most need to trailer because of distance from the show, older brass type cars, and trailer queen type cars. Area members can easily drive and avoid the trailer fee.

It also strikes me as profiteering if the cost to secure the parking area is marked up, AT ALL. Since there will be no public accounting we will not know for sure.

No one so far has answered the question of why in the first 13 years or so of the AACA shows I attended secure trailer parking was provided as part of the registration fee, but in the last few years it has become common practice to charge. It looks to me the reason is because once one or two shows got away with it, it was seen as easy pickings.

Personally I feel it would be far far better to simply make the up front registration fee reflect the actual show costs plus a reasonable profit. There would be no discrimination issues. Everyone would pay their fair share.

Again speaking personally I bring my cars to shows to support the AACA and hopefully enrich the show. It often costs me around $1000 to bring my cars to support YOUR shows. I highly resent the feeling my support is unappreciated by trying to chisel a few extra bucks.

I may be the only one who feels this way, or maybe not. Regretfully for both the AACA and myself I will continue to resist by simply not participating in AACA shows with no trailer parking. In this case I will be canceling my reservation at the Sheraton. The Tidewater region, the AACA, Virginia Beach, and me and my wife will all be the lesser for it.................Robert Beck

Bob, I understand your point but do not necessarily agree with your logic as far as it being discriminatory. In most cases, from the contracts I have seen there is a specific charge to use a portion of property designated for trailer parking. So here is how some could look at it. If I am driving my show car to a show why should I pay for someone else to bring their trailer? That member could also feel discriminated against if he has to pay for someone else to attend a show. How would members feel about paying and additional $10 to $20 for registration? Would that cause some, especially in DPC and HPOF classes to no longer show a car? Just offering another point of view. Respect your right to disagree.<o:p></o:p>

I don’t think the facts back up your assertion that people are automatically being charged. 2015 shows that will charge for parking are Virginia and Charlotte. In both cases there was a very expensive rental on the property. The Hornet’s Nest already loses a bundle on our meet but has us there to support AACA. Puerto Rico, Auburn, Louisville, and Hershey are NOT charging for parking. So only two meets so far for the year are charging for trailer parking (Houma, LA card is not in here yet). I know the practice of charging is now greater than a decade ago but issues with property owners are also different.<o:p></o:p>

I know you are not “cheap” and I hope no one else believes so..you stand on your principles. You do attend a lot of functions and yes you have given back trophies which very few people do. In this case while I understand the issue irks you I don’t agree that your solution is any fairer. I guess it is a case of whose ox do you gore! In the meantime, national and our regions will continue to try and find ways to keep costs down at national meets and I will miss the opportunity for you to mess with me at Virginia. :)

Yes, I too had thought of the reverse discrimination angle but that argument does not hold water. Since everyone would be paying the same fee there can be no discrimination. Everyone would be paying the same facility and service fee. Also, if the show cost were equal for all there would be not be the perception of being discriminated against because you are "special". An AACA show should be a we're all in this together, all inclusive, type show. Using your argument that different classes of users (driver/trailer) should pay a different fee, carried to it's logical conclusion, would mean non judged cars should pay less along with preservation awards. After all why should one pay for a fancy award for someone else when all he can get is a trinket or no award at all? Come to think of it, Steve, using your own argument, why are DPC and HPOF guys paying for expensive Senior Awards. You may not want to open that particular can.

No, the present system of an extra parking fee is unfair, discriminatory and loath-some. Charging one user fee for all concerned is the fairest most inclusive, not to mention simplest system.

Sadly I will also miss picking on you. I was looking forward to both your company and Virginia Beach..........Bob

I have missed our witty debates but you could carry your line of conversation to the extreme that it applies to banquets and tours at a meet. They charge those separately. It is "discrimination" in the fact you are asking others to subsidize those of us who bring a trailer (I have always brought a trailer to a meet and most likely always will.) If the meet is paying a separate fee only for the purpose of trailer parking than you could make the argument that those that use the land need to pay for it.

Obviously we will not agree on this matter but it is a position that will be made known to our board of directors. With every meet being so different and under different circumstances now it would make it hard as you each facility has a separate negotiation. I gave you a few other meets that there is no charge so hopefully you could make one of them and we can carry on our debate in person.

In any event have a great summer.

"If the meet is paying a separate fee only for the purpose of trailer parking than you could make the argument that those that use the land need to pay for it".

The argument could be just as easily made that trailer parking, though possibly a separate line item expense , is still part and parcel of the overall event expense and should be rolled into the cost of doing business. I'm sure there are many other line item expenses, printing, sanitation, permits, security, fuel, communications, equipment rentals, etc. etc. etc. that are simply rolled into the overall expense column. Just as they all contribute to a successful show so do the trailers which bring, arguably, the top tier cars for everyone's enjoyment.

To argue other wise is to risk biting the hand that feeds.

Your point that you wish to hear nothing further from me and I've been dismissed is well taken. It will be respected............ Well maybe.................Bob

Just a misunderstanding Mitch. The trailer parking rate has been explained, and many members are looking forward to this meet, including myself. Look me up!:)

Wayne

I see you are a fellow Virginian, and I seem to recall that you had your eyes on a 31 Cadillac a couple of years ago at the Hershey auction. Look me up on the show field! Rick.:)

Interesting debate but as specific to the Va Beach show I was not bringing my car down when the original parking facilities were revealed as much too far from showfield. The parking facilities now leased on the site has caused me to change my mind and another car owner and I will be there.

Robert

Wayne, you have been holding out on us if you had plans to buy a 31 Caddy! I have a LOT of raffle tickets to sell you! :) The folks in the Tidewater region are working very hard to make this a memorable meet..don't think there will be any disappointments. I am thinking of bringing a car down now as well, sort of put up or shut up!

.......... you had your eyes on a 31 Cadillac a couple of years ago at the Hershey auction..

If it's two tone blue, then yes I did. I missed on that car and a Lincoln in the Car Corral that day. Weather conditions and running the business out of my pu put the Lincoln into someone else's hands. :)

You know, it's like the Hershey story....if you see something you like, don't mess around, put the money in the hand and get the title!!! Words to live by in the antique world.:D

I will look you up Caddy!

I like Tommy's support for the Va Beach show. Can't out muscle Tommy the ol master but the new parking site facilities at this show means we will be bringing down a rare unreal muscle car that hasn't been shown publicly since 1988 and has never been shown at an AACA show so come to the beach and support class 36.

Robert

I like Tommy's support for the Va Beach show. Can't out muscle Tommy the ol master but the new parking site facilities at this show means we will be bringing down a rare unreal muscle car that hasn't been shown publicly since 1988 and has never been shown at an AACA show so come to the beach and support class 36.

Robert

yipeee ,,that will be worth the trip and admission alone... all the rest is a bonus:)

Guest my3buicks

It's $25 bucks, big deal, are any of us that hard up? I figure if you can afford an antique car and can afford to trailer it, you can afford $25 to keep it all safe. I reserved a spot and I have not even decided if I am trailering or driving.

It's coming quick, I better get back to the garage.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I know my family and I are looking forward to attending this show for the first time. I will be showing my Suburban in HPOF - and hopefully get another "Original" also as I did this past weekend in Charlotte. unfortunately, my brother in law won't be bringing his Packard, but will be there with his wife :)

Question - how many years has this show been running? Also, I'm hoping participation increases over the next couple of weeks as seeing over 300 cars in Charlotte was awesome! :)

I suspect there will be over 300 cars there! The venue alone is worth the trip. Our region visited it a few years ago, and it was fantastic.

I'm bringing a car load of judges to support our fellow region. There are plenty of First Juniors from Charlotte that ought to be going for Seniors at Virginia Beach.

Looking forward to seeing that nice Suburban again.

And looking forward to this meet.

Guest John W. Harvey

Not being able to get to our trailers on Sunday morning until after 9a.m. is going to be a problem.......

Guest Mark McAlpine

To all those bringing trailers who have asked about getting an earlier start on Sunday, we coordinated with the Military Aviation Museum (the site of the meet and trailer parking) and they have a volunteer coming in to open the gate at 7:00 AM on Sunday morning. (All other times are as posted in the Meet trifold.)

And to those that have questioned the $25 fee for parking and insinuated that our region is trying to "line our pockets," we are not making money on this meet. If we break even, we will be ecstatic. As Steve Moskowitz and others have pointed out, this is not about making money. This is about bringing together great vehicles and owners to enjoy the vehicles, catch up with old friends (and make some new ones), and share a good time together.

The Tidewater Region looks forward to hosting everyone for this meet, and hopes everyone has a safe trip! See you in less than two weeks.

Edited by Mark McAlpine (see edit history)

Guest chadinator

I'm really looking forward to enjoying the meet with family and friends. The venue sounds fantastic. Unfortunately the Packard has to stay home.

I've already sent in my registration, and then it dawned on me that I don't recall seeing a sign up or registration for the the judging school on Friday afternoon. Is there someplace to register for judging school, or is open to all who show up for it?

Thanks,

Chad

Guest my3buicks

I may have missed a change somewhere but earlier it was said that - " The trailer parking will be split, with brass car parking at the airfield location and others at a location approx. 3-4 miles away" - having my driving direction in hand from the registration packet that I received it only gives directions to the Princess Anne Rd Location - just wanted to be sure which parking location to go to. I am not bringing a brass era car btw. Thank you