2015 VA beach meet

carrfixr

i am considering traveling to the 2015 spring meet to enter my car in judging. i was told that this was a nat'l event so i need to obtain my junior. is everything at the airport museum? truck/trailer parking etc. i am only planning to spend the one day and not interested in shuttling to and from the grounds to a hotel at the beach. i am also hoping its not a cluster like hershey with so many things going on like the flea market, wall to wall traffic etc>>

thanks for any thoughts

Mitch,

I will attempt to answer your questions: The Judges Breakfast, show, banquet and awards will be held at the airfield. The trailer parking will be split, with brass car parking at the airfield location and others at a location approx. 3-4 miles away. We anticipate 400-500 cars with approx. 350 trailers. The museum/airfield is in the rural area of Virginia Beach approx. 14 miles from the hotel area at the beach. Flea market not historically large, but we expect a large influx from the public to see the cars and the aircraft as a bundle. Hope to see you there, it will be fun!

Mickey

I plan on being there with my new restoration, a 1947 Crosley pickup. Also will bring my 51 Hotshot for a preservation. Got any arrangements made for shuttling drivers back and forth from the trailer parking?? Got 2 cars and only 1 driver!!

I'll try to answer several questions in this response. Yes, we are planning a shuttle from the hotel to the museum with a stop at the trailer parking. Not locked in stone as to the schedule as of yet. A map is planned as part of the trifold, registration opening is controlled by AACA Headquarters.

I know you folks have a lot of questions, but we are still working on activities and logistics, so as time passes we will get the info out to you.

Thanks,

Mickey

Host Hotel room booked. Thanks for all the information. I missed Hershey this year due to other club commitments. This will be my 1st AACA meet with a car getting judged. I am excited and even the wife is looking forward to this.

Thanks. Going to bring the Stage 1 Sun Coupe and see how it does. It is original and I am going to try class 39F I believe rather than HPOF. I think the car is good enough. I never thought of bringing the race car to an AACA event. Can never tell what the future may bring. I want to see how this car does and then I have a 4 speed undergoing a body off restoration that should be finished after the winter to start showing also. Looking forward to a good and very busy 2015 season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mickey, hope all is well it's been a long time. Do you have to of already received your junior to be able to have a car at the VA Beach show?

Zak,

?? can you eloborate that was a confusing response:confused:

All National AACA Meets offer the opportunity to compete for your First Junior, except for the Annual Grand National Meet. The Annual Grand National Meet is only open to cars that have won the Senior Award in a previous year.

Mitch,

I will attempt to answer your questions: The Judges Breakfast, show, banquet and awards will be held at the airfield. The trailer parking will be split, with brass car parking at the airfield location and others at a location approx. 3-4 miles away. We anticipate 400-500 cars with approx. 350 trailers. The museum/airfield is in the rural area of Virginia Beach approx. 14 miles from the hotel area at the beach. Flea market not historically large, but we expect a large influx from the public to see the cars and the aircraft as a bundle. Hope to see you there, it will be fun!

Mickey

As I said this will be my first AACA meet. My cuncern is that my Chevelle is a driver, and as you stated above most of the cars are trailered. Is there a different class for drivers? Is getting your Junior based on points or who wins that class?

NC1970,

Driven cars can certainly successfully compete with trailered cars in Class Judging. One other option is the Drivers Participation Class. You may want to consider that if your car has any modifications from original.

You can read the judging guidelines on a link from the main page at aaca.org. Another option to learn more about the judging system would be to attend the NC Region Annual Meeting in Burlington January 16-17 and attend the judging school. You could learn a lot about the judging system that would better prepare you for your first meet.

During the last VA Beach meet I stayed at an older restored hotel on a hill above beach. Does anyone remember the name or even if they are still open?...............Bob[/quoteP

Hi, Bob. I believe you are referring to the Cavalier Hotel. I stayed there as well at the 2006 Meet.

Peter J.

That's it, Peter, thanks. I was hoping to stay there again but I just checked and it looks like it went belly up. A shame..............Bob

That's a shame, Bob. The old hotels certainly have class from days gone by. Parallel to preservation of old vehicles.

On the subject I would highly recommend to anyone that the Virginia Beach meet is a "must" to attend. A lot to do and see in the area.

Regards,

Peter J.