Off Topic: Prayers for John Scheib

JohnD1956

I just learned that John has been hospitalized while vacationing in North Carolina. A fall last Wednesday Oct 8th, lead to a major brain injury and while he is holding his own, Bea said it looks like they will be there for a long time.

John has been a long time supporter of the BCA and a valuable member of this forum. Please join us in sending your thoughts and prayers.

I've known John for some time. Besides he being the BCA Northeast Region coordinator, he is also ROA brethren. My family's prayers go out to him and his family. John, full recovery please!

I spoke to Bea tonight. John is sedated and further complications have set in. I'm not quite sure how to put this but frankly, it does not look good. Yet, when she asked the nurses if she should be "concerned", they told her no.

Hang in there John, the Buick community is pulling for ya!

I received the following update from Sharon of the Yankee Chapter:

John remains at Grand Strand Medical Center. He has

been moved to a step down room (room #1348). He is still on IV's for nutritional

support, but has been taking some food. She said he remains terribly confused,

due to brain injury, but does make sense occasionally. Bea had a long day

yesterday as John remained awake for much of the day.

They have started to ween him from the heavily sedative medication which is

probably the reason. Staff attempted to get him on his feet yesterday as well.

She has many questions for doc today regarding longer term planning. The goal

being to get John home and into St Mary's rehab in West Hartford. She said she

hopes to have the John back that we all know.

I asked where she was staying. Breakers Hotel, Myrtle Beach, room 709, Palmetto

was the answer. She needs our support as much as John does.

To the best of my knowledge, Bea does not participate in this forum. So if anyone has a mind to, cards of support for Bea, and get well wishes for John, by snail mail would most likely be a good way to let them both know we are thinking of them.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

For those who have followed this thread, and may not know, John has had a remarkable recovery ( obviously due to your thoughts and prayers) and is back home in Connecticut. While he is still working on a full recovery I am glad to report that he is anticipating a Happy 2014 Holiday with Bea and family. Welcome home John.

We are delighted to learn of John's progress toward hopefully full recovery, and wish him and all his family the best for the holiday season.

The e-mail from you this morning cause me to go looking what I thought was a thread on this subject. Yes thanks to some very good medical people , the care and love by my wife and entire family, and I am sure the prayers and thoughts by people on the forum and elsewhere, I am doing pretty well. I have transitioned from an original 18 day coma, an air ambulance ride to CT and 4 weeks at a rehab facility(released there just in-time for Thanksgiving) and now just this week released from in-home therapy I am released to be own my own to continue to build strength and stamina.

As we approach Christmas, I wish to thank all in the BCA and forum community for the thoughts and prayers expressed. It has been a long process and there are times when progress seems it has come to a halt, but you realize you can push to the next level. If any of you ever have a similar experience I encourage you to keep pushing ahead and I am told now, with a completely shaved head, I look younger, and dare I say, more sexy.

And again, let me say, another "Thank You" for your support.

John