Are NOS shocks from the 50's still any good?

lancemb

I have a set of the old oil-filled shocks from the 50's. Were these things worth a damn in the first place, and would they still be any good now after 50+ years if so, or should I just use a new set of gas-filled shocks?

Knowledge, experience, and opinions welcomed, please!

I have NOS spiral shocks on my Roadmaster. They are good and are working well. I also installed them on a Caballero restoration in 1991. To my knowledge they are still on the car after about 30K miles of use. The car is still local and was in the Denver chapter show last month. I, however, would not pay over $75 each for them. Aftermarket replacements are, OK. I would use aftermarket on a driver. - Dan

…. If you are going for that rigid Torsion Bar wannabe feel then by all means go with gas filled. However, if you want the proper spec ride that works all the suspension components as originally designed then stay with oil stock shocks.

Shock absorbers should really be called Rebound Absorbers as they actually work on the rebound cycle of the forces acting upon impact.

Therefore Hydraulic shocks work kinda like jumping up and hitting your head on the ceiling covered with a fluffy pillow then descending onto a soft bed. Gas shocks are kinda like jumping up and hitting your head on the ceiling tiles, then using a fire pole to slide back down to the concrete floor. :')