Battery and ground cable question

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

Another question for the wise men of this forum, the answer to which will save me having to buy a jack and jack stands and mess around under the car. I would like to order myself some heavy-duty cables (00/0 gauge) for the battery, the positive cable also being period correct cloth covered. With my stock 6V system, the heavier the better, right?

Can anyone easily tell me the size of the bolt at the end of each the cables (for the positive cable on the solenoid, for the ground strap on the engine block). The cable provider has 3 possible sizes for the ring (5/16", 3/8", 1/2"), so if you can help me and save my wrestling underneath the car, it would be appreciated.

Stefan

Yes, I know I should get my own jack and jack stands for future work, which I will be doing, but this way I don't have to rush into this purchase.

Guest 1951Olds88

Have I stumped the wise men? ;)

Actually, the ground strap was not as difficult as I though, easily reachable from the top of the engine, so I have my own answer already, 3/8" is the size. However, the solenoid terminal is still an unknown, anyone have the answer? Same as the ground strap , or not?

TIA

Stefan

Guest 1951Olds88
hi stefan, the size of the hole should be the same size as the ground strap. wire size should be 0 gauge.

Thanks, appreciate the information. And the company I am using actually has 00 gauge cable, so I will order that (hopefully judges won't notice the difference when I show). But the good news is that the cable will be cloth covered, as per original.

Stefan

Edited by 1951Olds88 (see edit history)

Guest 1951Olds88

AFAIK 1951 Olds did have negative ground as standard, as the ground strap looks original (down to the factory check mark). As it is 63 years old, it is time for that one to be changes, as well as the positive cable to the starter. Although the latter had been changed to address the starter issues. However, it is a PVC covered cable, probably 0 or 2 gauge, and I am replacing it with a cloth covered 00 gauge cable.

Guest 1951Olds88
hi stefan, the size of the hole should be the same size as the ground strap. wire size should be 0 gauge.
I decided today to have my car looked over by my local shop, before I start dismantling it for the things that I already know about. I asked them to check the solenoid terminal and they confirmed that it is indeed 3/8". Check in the "Our Cars and Project Restorations" forum to see what else they found. Edited by 1951Olds88 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1951Olds88
Glad you've found info, but a good floor jack and a sturdy set of jack stands will be invaluable if you ever go under the car for anything. Stuff from Northern Tool and Harbor Freight will be fine as even Craftsman are made offshore now.

My "Rocket" is going into 'dry dock' today starting with the removal of the carb. So I will be acquiring a good jack and jack stands soon for other work, including removal of the steering gear box. Given the weight of the car (they don't make 'em that that any more) I will invest in a sturdy set. Thanks for the advice.

Stefan