How was the actual car show at Hershey?

ncgirl05

We left Saturday morning so we did not attend the car show. I know there were a lot of disappointed men at the hotel we stayed at because they were under the impression that the show would be rained out. So, was it rained out? Was the car attendance lower than expected?

I would guess 85% of the cars were there. There was no glumness,

no reservation: Devoted car fans continued on unfazed. And it was

only an initial drizzle, then a mist, then clear. There was plenty of

"dry time" at the show, and once again, virtually zero mud!

An excellent show with no disappointments at all!

My best guesstimate is that 70%-80% of the show field was filled, as I was pleased and slightly surprised to see. As last year proved beyond doubt, the field drains exceptionally well, and with the exception of a slight mist/drizzle for about 20-30 minutes early in the afternoon, the moderate rains/sprinkles had ended by late morning, shortly after judging began. By the time I left the showfield after 3 pm, the sun had made its presence known...

Guest RedRock

I had two cars in the show, got there early, whatever rain we experienced was a minor nuisance. I thought the show went well considering...........

The show was great, not too crowd even after we finished judging at noon, lot of people still taking pictures, it was great day.

Sure was backup at the judges check out point, we wait over an hour to turn are paper work in. Disappointing, with so many judges available.

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

Guest snowshoe1

I had a great time at Hershey and I can speak for my buddies who traveled there for the best few days in October that a little bit of rain and a few clouds would not spoil this event for us. There probably were fewer vendors and I think that is due in part to the fact that a fairly large contingent of the old car crowd is getting as old as some of the antique cars. That coupled with the fact that many vendors can now offer their "stuff' on the Internet 24/7 and 365 days a year ...there is less of an incentive to haul all your stuff, assemble it, hope for sunny weather and crowds with money, then disassemble it and truck it all home. eBay sounds a whole lot easier.

It rained most of Friday night and that is always a concern as to whether the great cars will make it to the judging field for Saturday a.m. I'd say many of the cars did make it and attending the Saturday judging event was well worth it. That morning is the showing of the best of the AACA member vehicles and the folks who bring their vehicles are very generous about showing off their pride and joy. Its the best part of the meet and I would continue to encourage everyone never to miss that event.

The three day car corral was presentable. Lots of wheeling and dealing by late Friday and Saturday a.m.

I heard quite a few different languages being spoken all over the swap meet fields and in the car corral.

Another lesson in practical economics...the U.S. dollar is weak compared to most foreign currencies...OR

those foreigners are just car crazy for U.S. vehicles "at any price".

That coupled with the fact that many vendors can now offer their "stuff' on the Internet 24/7 and 365 days a year ...there is less of an incentive to haul all your stuff, assemble it, hope for sunny weather and crowds with money, then disassemble it and truck it all home. eBay sounds a whole lot easier.

I hear this often and sell at Hershey and have sold on eBay. For things that are easily destroyed and some very rare and/or expensive items I can see eBay as an outlet, but as a relatively small vendor that only sells at Hershey the effort to create eBay auctions for enough of my stuff to net what I sell at Hershey would be a lot more work than loading and driving to Hershey, since I would be going anyway. By the time you take the pictures write up the auction and post it and if it sells package and haul it to post office you can spend a lot more time than a week at Hershey. One of the reasons I have not bother to sell anything on eBay for a few years is I found that I was putting in 10-20 hours a week and on a good week was making $100 and a bad week it was negative with auction fees. Yea there were a few very good weeks I made a lot more but I don't have the rare/expensive stuff to sell.

I think if anything eBay has taken some of the buyers away. If you only need a couple of things and that was the only reason for going to Hershey, pay a little more and have it shipped to your door. That is one of the reason when people ask what I'm looking for I say I will know when I find it.

Ebay is a double edged sword. For smaller items it is able to get a broad audience that can be easily shipped. Larger items it is more problematic. The other thing is some of the buyers are scammers. Just had a person claim that a new item was not as described because it did not fit their application which I did not have any idea what they were trying to do with the part. Ebay give them their money back and let them keep the item. VERY UNFAIR!

Guest buickkuhn
Ebay is a double edged sword. For smaller items it is able to get a broad audience that can be easily shipped. Larger items it is more problematic. The other thing is some of the buyers are scammers. Just had a person claim that a new item was not as described because it did not fit their application which I did not have any idea what they were trying to do with the part. Ebay give them their money back and let them keep the item. VERY UNFAIR!
I too have had this very thing happen to me with automotive stuff and my wifes side of the ebay account too.

Saturday car show seemed well-attended by cars and spectators, from what we could see on our fairly quick walk-thru. Like was proven last year (which was also very rainy), this car show field seems to drain very well, and we did not see any obvious muddy areas. Great job as usual by Hershey Region and everyone who made it possible.

post-34222-143142793431_thumb.jpg