Original Sanford and Son Truck For Sale

Guest harner

Guest my3buicks

Bill, that is the case if a member posts a classified add on the forums, but I don't believe this one actually qualifies since it is just a link to an ebay sale.

It's hard to differentiate the 51 from the 52 Ford pickup. I look for the single emblem on the front below the hood on the 51.The 52 has F O R D spelled out. The Sanford truck has nothing so it was deliberately filled in or it never had it because the truck is a 6. Th chrome strips are different, too as the 51 has only one line while the 52 has a long trident but I've seen the single on 52s and the trident on 51s. This is a 51

1951+Ford+V8+pickup.JPG

Great Truck!

I used to go to your grandfathers junkyard MANY years ago! If memory serves me right the main road split the yard in half. It seemed everything I needed was on the LONG DISTANCE part of the yard! Great memories!

Good luck to you on the sale!

Bill

That's neat, and thank you! As luck usually has it, the part you need is always the hardest one to get to.

I have now watched this about 60 times and I'm pretty sure the truck listed in the original post is indeed the truck used in the opening credits. Check out the rust/damage on the driver's front fender and the flag stand welded to the passenger's side front bumper. The graphics on the doors look right, too.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1WqazleR3FE" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="420" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Is it worth more because it was on TV? I don't know. I've seen garden-variety Plymouth 'Cuda convertibles sell for five times their actual value because Don Johnson's butt might have been in the front seat at one point. And we all know that anything with Steve McQueen's butt print in the driver's seat is worth exponentially more than equivalent vehicles of the same type. Who's to say? I probably wouldn't take it on consignment, but that's not to say some museum somewhere doesn't want it or some guy who owns a bunch of other TV memorabilia won't see the value.

/now you're humming it, aren't you?

Thank you for the input. With the documentation it can easily be traced back as the original.

For those interested several of my Grandfather's cars are also up for sale.

1938 Other Makes Armstrong Siddeley Limo

post-103813-143142783787_thumb.jpg

Link

1919 Ford Model T Touring

post-103813-143142783798_thumb.jpg

Link

I own many antique cars and trucks several which were in movies or television series ( most famous is lead car in Untouchables movie and tv series ). Having said that I will be shocked if you get anywhere near your asking price. If you do I would think it will not be a private buyer but possibly a museum. I will watch closely and if you do I will likely list 4 or 5 movie cars for sale. I was wondering, did you contact Barrett Jackson ?

Wayne

Better start writing some advertisements, lol!

Guest AlCapone
Hello fellow fans. My grandparents have had the original truck for years, and the time has come for them to sell it. If you want to take a look http://www.ebay.com/itm/251677693437?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks

What happened to the $30,000 dollar offer ? Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Better start writing some advertisements, lol![/QUOT

Lets see if it sells for $30,000 first ( lol ) Until a bid reaches reserve it means absolutely nothing. I am betting it will not ! What happened to thr 30 k buyer ?

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this thread when it was only 1 page long. There certainly has been some heated discussion, 2 more pages worth. I too was curious if the OP's grandparents would sell the S&S truck. Well, I forgot about it until I was looking at my eBay account a short while ago. I had it saved in my "watched list". I see that it did sell for $28,000. I say, good for the seller. The market has dictated the price, as it should. This is a fickle hobby. Some days those rare cars/parts sell for top dollar, and other days you can't give them away. I was surprised at the criticism of the seller for his starting price. Who cares? If he didn't get a bid, then he was asking too much. That's his problem. But, the auction wasn't even over before the criticism began. I hope all those who were predicting a no sale, pay someone else to invest their 401k's. :-)

Edited by 64rustang (see edit history)

Batman car sold for 3.000.000 +? Truck was a bargain. How much did the Mustang in Bullet sell for?

Not that I would ever consider paying that kind of money but one could see the difference in appeal between the Batmobile (a car specifically customized for a cult show and probably featured in almost every episode) as opposed to a generally stock old truck that was used for a few seconds in the opening and closing. How many times did Batman say to the Batmobile?

I think his truck has much more appeal and provenance than a car from the Untouchables. The Sanford truck is nearly as iconic as the Beverly Hillbillies truck. Nobody remembers what car Elliot Ness drove, but the truck was almost a cast member. It might be priced a bit high, I dunno, but I'll bet it fetches a pretty fair premium over a regular F-1in the same condition
I saw this thread when it was only 1 page long. There certainly has been some heated discussion, 2 more pages worth. I too was curious if the OP's grandparents would sell the S&S truck. Well, I forgot about it until I was looking at my eBay account a short while ago. I had it saved in my "watched list". I see that it did sell for $28,000. I say, good for the seller. The market has dictated the price, as it should. This is a fickle hobby. Some days those rare cars/parts sell for top dollar, and other days you can't give them away. I was surprised at the criticism of the seller for his starting price. Who cares? If he didn't get a bid, then he was asking too much. That's his problem. But, the auction wasn't even over before the criticism began. I hope all those who were predicting a no sale, pay someone else to invest their 401k's. :-)

I told you so;)

• 4 years later...