Newbie Here - going to check out a '37 Zephyr - 5 things to look for????

John_Mc

Stock 37 Zephyr

--aluminum headed v-12 with an oil filler with a draw tube solid lifter engine can have slight lifter ratttle 3 bolt stromberg carb

--oil pressure at hot idle

--rust in floors and pillars..

--2 speed axle equipped (vacuum valve on steering box, speedo cable box on firewall, hump on pass side of rear axle vacuum gear piston)

--6 volt pos ground generator with large cutout on top

Thanks for the info, but I might have to pass on the car, why? It's too tall! I store my other Lincolns in a space with only 62" of head clearance and the Zephyr that I'm looking at is marked 69" so unless I can find a way to lower the car (no custom mutilations please) or raise the celiling, I'm going to have to pass which is really too bad but if I do buy it and put it in my garage instead, I'll be cursing the thing within weeks because it will always be in the way. Thank you again for your insight into these beautiful cars.

I have two Zephyr engines in my building and both have cast iron cylinder heads. My 1937 Zephyr coupe has cast iron heads as well. I know the "full size" 1937 Lincolns used aluminum cylinder heads but I believe the Zephyrs were cast iron. Cast iron cylinder heads would be a big improvement over aluminum heads which are terribly prone to galvanic corrosion and typically can not be repaired. Front what I can see of the engine compartment and dash board, it looks like a really nice original car.

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest 21:5 Resto

I am restoring a 46' convert Lincoln Zephyr and I am trying to get some pictures of the original floor pans. the person who worked on this car previously had removed the old floor and replaced it with fabricated galvanizing... which I removed completely. now I bought the front and floor pans from C2C Fabrication for this car but since I have no idea how these floors are supposed to go in in have been winging it. I have gotten the front two floor pans in and looking decent but I am stumped on how the rear two floor pans should go. I will also have to make a tunnel for the car. if anyone has any pictures that would help me out it would be much appreciated.