No brake lights! Am I missing a fuse here? Brake light switch?

1958bkspecial

post-89355-143142779151_thumb.jpg I am hoping by posting some pictures here someone can tell me what is missing for my 1957 Century. The brakes and master cylinder have gotten ALL the attention this summer. Now I am trying to figure out the lights. I have turn signals, just no back up or Brake lights. Looks like a fuse housing / fuse is missing and I cannot see a brake light switch.? Any help or diagram would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, J.R.

post-89355-143142779063_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142779093_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142779122_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1958bkspecial (see edit history)

J.R., Your fuse is there, and it looks good. A lot of times, the connection at the master cylinder is the culprit, not the fuse. As you look at the fuse panel, you will see that the naming is for the fuse above it. It clearly shows that the fuse for the brakes and dome light are there. You might want to replace it anyway with a new fuse, just to be sure. I would also clean the connections at the switch on the master cylinder on both the harness connection, and the swtich on the side of the master cylinder.

Thank you Jim. Yes , I do have a working dome light. So I should be looking at the Master cylinder area which I had rebuilt. I will do that. I was not sure if the fuse label went to the one above or below. I thought the Brake switch was near the pedal under the dash somewhere. I still have a lot to learn. Thanks again. J.R.

J.R.

Here are the pictures of the switch. It is a roundish shaped item on the side of the master cylinder. One picture is w/ manual brakes, the other w/ power brakes. Hope this helps.

post-65800-143142781457_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142781461_thumb.jpg

Yep, you need to replace the brake light pressure switch at the master cylinder.

NAPA has them … The tubular connectors seem to be more available than the blade style

switches. They work the same way, you just need to adapt it as needed. these things go bad every 2-4 years.

I just had to replace the one in my 58 Roadie just before a car show this past weekend. Since I have

three cars with pressure type switches, I buy two for each car and keep one in the glove boxes!

(BTW, silicon brake fluid in the system can make them go bad just a little faster.)

mike

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b3a4d55a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I went to NAPA auto parts and ordered a new switch after locating it thanks to picture that was posted. I easily replaced it myself. Right there on the Master cylinder. How easy was that! Now my lights are working!!! Also I checked them while the car ignition was on. I have turn signals and back up lights!!! How awesome is that! I really appreciate the tips you all give and am glad when there are a few things I can do myself. J.R.

J.R. That's what we are all here for. To help our fellow Buick owner's out when we can. Glad it worked out for you. And thanks for posting back with the results. A lot of time the original poster just fades away without letting the team know that they helped at all. Come back often and post some pictures of your car. We all love pictures!