planetary transmission help sought

AHa

I am not sure this is the best place to post this thread.

I am seeking some help in recreating a planetary transmission for a car I am trying to restore. The original was lost to history. The car is a one off created by a blacksmith around 1900. I have restored/recreated most of the rest of the car and have designed a transmission but am struggling with the best way to engage high gear. The problem is, I have very limited space in which to put the trans because of the cars construction, which limits the ability to shift into high. My progress can be viewed at

1900car.weebly.com

Can you guys steer me toward someone who might be able to help?

AHa, planetary transmissions were used on industrial machinery and in machine shops before they were used in cars. It is possible the blacksmith used an off the shelf transmission and did not whittle one out of steel in his blacksmith shop.

The reason I know this is that I knew an old motorcycle mechanic who created a replica of an early motorcycle with a planetary transmission, and that is what he used.

Later....... it appears you came to the same conclusion regarding transmission.

In those days, the French DeDion engine and copies of it, were most popular. Many early makes used this engine including the first Pierce Arrow and numerous European makers. DeDion engines from 1900 and earlier still turn up for sale. Have you checked your photos against this possibility?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)