Dodge Brothers Club Australia National Rally

Ken_Lincoln

What did he say??

Looks like something along the lines of, "Hello Ken, Hello Dodge friends in Australia. Thank you for posting the wonderful photos of the rally. I like those cars. (and something about being from Germany)." That is a total guess on my part.

What a great collections of DBs! Some interesting colors too. Was there more than black originally available on the pre-mid-twenties cars?

Mike

Most of the Dodges sold in Australia were assembled from knocked down kits and fitted with Australian coach built bodies. This was to avoid the high tariff placed on imported bodies. For this reason the choice of colour was up to the individual body builder or State-based importer/assembler. That being said, there was only a limited range of colours available in the coach paints of the time. Most favoured were greys and dark blues. There was also variation in colour of running gear. For instance, the guards (fenders) and valances on cars assembled by Standardised Motors in New South Wales using Holden's bodies (made in South Australia) were painted body colour. Those assembled by Canada Cycle in Victoria, again mainly using Holden's bodies, utilised black running gear - most probably the baked black enamel supplied by the Dodge Bros factory.

I think that the variation seen in these photos is a reflection of the current owners' individual taste.

Tony

Hallo Ken_ Hallo Dodge Freunde im fernen Australien. Danke für die wunderschönen Bilder von der National Rally Ich bin begeistert von all den schönen Autos. Herzliche grüsse aus Germany

To reduce the guess work, here is what Google Translate says: "Hello Hello Ken_ Dodge friends in faraway Australia. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the National Rally I'm impressed by all the beautiful cars. Cordial greetings from Germany"

Mike

Most of the Dodges sold in Australia were assembled from knocked down kits and fitted with Australian coach built bodies. This was to avoid the high tariff placed on imported bodies. For this reason the choice of colour was up to the individual body builder or State-based importer/assembler. That being said, there was only a limited range of colours available in the coach paints of the time. Most favoured were greys and dark blues. There was also variation in colour of running gear. For instance, the guards (fenders) and valances on cars assembled by Standardised Motors in New South Wales using Holden's bodies (made in South Australia) were painted body colour. Those assembled by Canada Cycle in Victoria, again mainly using Holden's bodies, utilised black running gear - most probably the baked black enamel supplied by the Dodge Bros factory.

I think that the variation seen in these photos is a reflection of the current owners' individual taste.

Tony

Mike and Tony.

I was told by the son in law of my DC8 roadster's original owner that the colours could be chosen by the buyer. The purchaser and the dealer agreed on a colour before the car was assembled by the Australian body builder.

This was in 1930 when production was minimal and sales were slowing up. This applied to T J Richard bodied cars at least. It may have only applied to the less produced variants with minimal production. More popular variants like the 6 cylinder sedans and tourers may have been available off the floor.

Jim

One interesting thing I found out was that with the 34's a lot of the left hand drive ones had pin striping around the body, fenders and so on but quite a few of the Aussie built bodies actually had the swage line painted. Not sure if this was something to do with country preferences, or to differentiate between local and export cars ?

Anywho, just thought I'd share that.

Ian

• 1 month later...

nearchoclatetown : .... I do not know the gentleman who owns the black coupe .. I saw by your earlier post that you know of 3 other wooden body coupe`s .... I have an email address for him, but as I do not know him personally, could you send a pm to me with a message and email address and I will forward it to him and leave it up to him to make contact...

Ken