1927 EU Standard Six

Guest TomB

I'm starting assembly on my '27 EU Standard Six engine. Does anyone have torque specs for these engines? I'm primarily interested in torque specs for rods, mains, and head, but would welcome all other engine torque specs. I'm unsure of the bolt grades I'm dealing with. The mains have 1/2 inch (bolt size); 13 (coarse threads per inch) bolts with "2" on the bolt head. Am I correct to assume the numeric designation "2" indicates a grade 2 bolt? The Standard Steel Bolt Torque Specifications I have shows dry torque specs of 47 foot-pounds for a grade 2 bolt. All replies will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

TomB

Guest manitoba27stude

i have the complete set of manuals,no mention of torque.will read it some more-maybe something about fastener markings.

This engine, like virtually all engines of the period, is a low compression (4.2 to 1 approx.), low speed, unstressed engine. Torque wrenches did not exist at that time. The last thing mechanics of the day worried about was how tight bolts should be. In the late 60's, I knew an old time mechanic whose advice (only slightly tongue in cheek) was "run the bolts up until they are tight then give them another half turn". I took his advice - I have never used a torque wrench on my 27 Dictator. I didn't own one until about 10 years ago. Something else common in those days was reusing head gaskets. The head gasket on my engine is the one that was there when I bought the car in 1966. The head has been off three times. It is still doing what it is supposed to do.

Also, these are 87 year old bolts. Even if the 2 on the bolt does indicate a grade 2 bolt, the quality of the steel isn't the same as it is today. Using modern standard torque specs might over stress them.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest manitoba27stude

Third attempt at a reply, iphone not cooperating. All the bolts in the trans im working on were hand made on a lathe from hex bar stock. They are a relatively tough bolts, say 30 foot pounds on 7/16. So the bolts you are concerened about may not be an issue. Nothing mentioned about torque anywhere.