alternator failure, strange light show

KDirk

Just finished changing the alternator in my nice 88 and installing a new Optima yellow top (deep cycle). Pulled an Optima red top that is probably still good, it is on tbe charger to see if it will retain a full charge. It is about 4 years old, so hoping I can use it for a while yet in another car; likely the scrub 88 as it has some no name battery from 2009 in it still from when I bought it last year.

Now, here is the strange part. Since the battery and alternator were out of the car for a few hours the memory was completely cleared. When I started it up after finishing work I noted something strange that I've never seen before: the battery telltale and high beam indicator on the IPC flashed randomly but in tandem several times for about 15-20 seconds.

This is not addressed anywhere I've seen, so don't know if it some kind of undocumented indication of data synchronization taking place after extended loss of power or something else. Anyone else ever seen this on an 88 after the vehicle being unpowered for an extended time?

KDirk

Nope. Running on new alternator and battery right after startup. The fact that both the hi-beam and charge lights triggered together (pattern was random but both lit up in unison) made it even stranger. Almost like they were reacting to serial data being received by the IPC.

They flashed on and off several times in 15-20 seconds in a random pattern (no set on/off time discernible). I see no way this would occur due to over or undervoltage, had to be in reaction to some strange serial data coming across the bus.

KDirk