THE OCTOBER 2014 BUGLE

Terry Wiegand

Got my October Bugle in the mail this afternoon. WOW! Another award-winning issue from Pete and Cindy. I'm just counting the days until the November issue is out. I know just a little bit about what is coming in that issue. Pete, you and Cindy do an outstanding job on this publication and I really wish that more people would take the time to tell you this also.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas Doo Dah

Hopefully it will be online soon so's we can all see of what you speak.

and re: I'm just counting the days until the November issue is out. I know just a little bit about what is coming in that issue. I bet there is a little bit more about it that I know that you don't know. he he he , guess we will just have to wait and see, won't we. ;)

Each month I voluntarily convert the finished magazine into a digital file which is then converted to a Flip Book for the website. In the past, Bill Stoneberg generously volunteered to do this job. Starting this month, the BCA has a new webmaster, Peter Gariepy, who will now be posting the eBugle each month.

The assumption that this month’s eBugle isn’t yet posted due to indifference or procrastination on the part of the paid staff is an uninformed and incorrect assumption. The timing of the eBugle posting is to make sure that the digital magazine isn’t posted before the first-class hard copies are shipped by Modern Litho Press. I am one of the people who receives an early copy. I received my October Bugle on Friday. This is Sunday. In all fairness, even paid staff shouldn't be expected to work on weekends. The eBugle will be posted very soon.

Cindy Livingston

Bugle Art Director

Each month I voluntarily convert the finished magazine into a digital file which is then converted to a Flip Book for the website. In the past, Bill Stoneberg generously volunteered to do this job. Starting this month, the BCA has a new webmaster, Peter Gariepy, who will now be posting the eBugle each month.

The assumption that this month’s eBugle isn’t yet posted due to indifference or procrastination on the part of the paid staff is an uninformed and incorrect assumption. The timing of the eBugle posting is to make sure that the digital magazine isn’t posted before the first-class hard copies are shipped by Modern Litho Press. I am one of the people who receives an early copy. I received my October Bugle on Friday. This is Sunday. In all fairness, even paid staff shouldn't be expected to work on weekends. The eBugle will be posted very soon.

Cindy Livingston

Bugle Art Director

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pomeroy, if you will send me a PM with your email address I will send you a bunch of photos of the '22. I have several photos of this car that look like a Norman Rockwell scene. I will give you the history of the restored mansion in the background also. THANK YOU for your interest in our early Buick.

Terry Wiegand

On page 39 (?) of the centerfold section: did those guys get locked out of that Green Estate Wagon? Looks like it.

Yes, that is precisely what happened! And it was pouring rain on top of being locked out. Eric Bernard borrowed a coat hangar from someone, and the driver's door was open in no time!

Here is my take on this subject, based on being a member of the Kaiser Frazer (KF) Club. They don't have a nice magazine like The Bugle but they do put out a newsletter monthly that includes the classifieds. For KF, they SAVE money by having members choose the PDF version of the newsletter sent by email OVER hard copies mailed.

As an incentive, the e-newsletter gets to those who choose this method of delivery 1st, allowing an edge in content viewing over those members who receive the newsletter by mail.

It would create an incentive for members to go "paperless" if the BCA would allow a slight deference to e-Bugle ($35) subscribers over the hard copy only members.

It works for the KF Club, but may not be worth it for the BCA. I am just putting it out there. It saves time, money, and postal heartache to go e-Bugle, we know that, but I don't want to put printers and staff out of a job.

A PDF version would be too easy to re-distribute whether sent as an email attachment or downloaded. On the other hand it could be saved to your computer and would be searchable. And with the right software a whole bunch could be combined into one larger PDF. With all the misinformation out there on Buicks it might not even be a bad idea to at some point put it freely out on the web.

From other prior discussions of "To e- or not to e-" . . .

Printing costs are determined by volume printed, not the same price regardless of volume. The BUGLE is the largest single expense, so membership costs might increase if printing volume decreases too far. A big balancing act, there!

Printing typically ensures that BCA members get the magazine first, then they can donate it if desired, rather than "anybody" getting it for free as a matter of course.

e-Bugle's biggest benefit is that international members can have access to advertised parts/cars in the same general time frame as state-side members.

While I suspect I might print individual articles as desired, possibly to re-distribute to interested parties, the quality of such printing would not do justice to the material. Plus the increase in ink cartridges used and photo paper purchased (for the better quality color printing).

It might be generational, but personally like to have a quality magazine to hold in my hand as I read it . . . not an electronic screen whose battery might need to be charged soon.

To me, other than the utilitarian orientation of "reading words" and having access to classified advertising in a timely manner, any other reproduction of "The Bugle" in user-printed media just would not do the material in the great magazine justice. The main thing which makes "The Bugle" so great is the manner in which it's presented . . . the photo layouts, the page layouts, the quality of the paper, and so on. It's the total combination that really makes it pop! Pete and Cindy do a great job in that respect!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Hold on to your hats folks, Willis Bell actually put something on the forum that a lot of us can agree with. "IT MIGHT BE GENERATIONAL, BUT PERSONALLY LIKE TO HAVE A QUALITY MAGAZINE TO HOLD IN MY HAND AS I READ IT". I could not agree more with that statement if I had said it myself. I am somewhat new to the computer world - have been online since 1999. The Bugle online really doesn't do that much for me. I have every Bugle since day one and as long as I am a member of the BCA I will get the Bugle in the printed form. HOWEVER, I would like to throw this question out to Peter Gariepy - Is there any possibility that at some future time ALL of the past Bugles could be made available on a CD format? This would be a tremendous undertaking and take a considerable amount of time, but look at the possibilities. Please correct me if I am incorrect here, but, can't CD's or DVD'S be produced and be made non-reproducible? If that is true, this could be a big financial gain to the club. How many folks out there would like to have a complete run of the Bugle since the day one? This might be something the BOD might want to consider.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I, too, will come to Willis's defense. A lot of thought goes into everything he writes, and he is never confrontational. He has worked on site at a major Texas Buick dealership for decades, so his knowledge of 'behind the scenes' Buick dealership procedures, parts, and cars is invaluable. He brings to this forum a perspective that no one else here can. I find his posts always interesting and thought provoking.

Imperial62, what you are saying is all swell and fine and dandy, but, what would you do for all of the hundreds of BCA members who are not online and have access to a computer let alone know how to use one to read the Bugle? I will say again that I do agree with Mr. Bell on the ONE point and ONE POINT ONLY about holding the printed Bugle in your hands to read.

Terry Wiegand

... Bottom line is maybe there should be some incentive to go e-Bugle over hard copy. ...

I know for Kaiser Frazer club it saves a lot of money and time.

The BCA did have a reduced membership for those interested in just an electronic copy of the Bugle. And if one was to join from the "online" link on the BCA site, they still have that option listed. It is indeed, $35.00 per annum, vs $50.00 for the hard copy.

Somewhere the wires are crossed when one looks at the membership form in the Bugle, or the Printable Membership form link on the new BCA site, cause that option is not listed.

Although I’m not really the person who can adequately address the possibility of offering the eBugle-only as an option for BCA members, I do know a little about the printing business. There are huge discounts offered by publishing houses based on the amount of copies printed. The BCA receives those discounts because we print over 7,000 copies of the Bugle each month. The less copies we print, the less discount we receive. At some point, if the club prints only a few thousand copies of the magazine, it becomes prohibitively expensive and the print copy will no longer be an option. I’m not sure the current membership is ready for that since the majority seem to enjoy receiving the print version. Of course, we all know that print journalism is dying a pretty steady death and at some point in the future, the Bugle may become only a digital magazine. But that might be 10-15 years away and my brain just can’t think that far ahead—except that I know in 15 years someone else will be designing the Bugle, because I’ll be too old to fight the learning curve of keeping up with new software every year!

The suggestion of converting past Bugles into digital files to be archived online is a good one. I’ve been interested in doing this for several years. There are some complications though – the two main ones are time and money. Since none of the older issues are digital files, (BC = “before computers”) we would need to scan each page of every issue and then convert those scans into a digital magazine. This is hugely time-consuming. Even converting only one magazine issue (from scans) can take hours. I wish I had the time to do it, but I just don’t. Any chance we could get about 40-45 volunteers to each scan the pages of only ONE issue each? Or 20 members to scan 2 issues each??? They could send me those scans and I’d be willing to put the issue together as a digital magazine file. It could be a long-term project with the goal being to finish all of the issues for the 2016 Meet. If anyone has any other ideas, please speak up. It would be really great to have a copy of each issue online — and I think also an incentive to involve more of the current membership with the website/forum — and possibly even something that would attract younger members. It’s just a thought….

Cindy Livingston

Bugle Art Director

(Oh good - maybe JohnD took the bait). Jpeg or Pdf - high resolution, 300 dpi, 100% size is preferred. Good labeling with the year, month, page #. And each page would need to be lined up real straight on the scanner. And I'd LOVE to have someone in charge of this - not a lot of work, but just someone who can organize who scans which issue so that we don't duplicate issues. And of course, we have to have the magazines too! I only have them for the years I've done the Bugle (2006-present) and I'm even missing a few of those.

CWL

Guest my3buicks

There are not alot of fully complete sets out there, and for those that have never seem the original ones, they are basically news letters. Getting 550 plus bugles to someone to scan them in itself would be a task.

Got my October Bugle in the mail this afternoon. WOW! Another award-winning issue from Pete and Cindy.
Hopefully it will be online soon so's we can all see of what you speak.

Cindy Livingston

Bugle Art Director

Cindy, please know that I did not mean to insinuate that anyone, much less you, were being lax in posting the eBugle on line. When the eBugle first started being posted to the website, it was established that it would be posted on or around the 10th of each month. For the last year or so, beginning on the 10th of each month, I have been checking to see if it has been posted and whenever it was I have posted a thread with a title of that months Bugle and included the link to where it could be accessed along with some discussion of some of it's articles. I did this in hopes that it would spur some conversation related to the Bugle articles and help promote it. It was simply the 10th of the month, I had checked and it wasn't there yet, thus my comment that I hoped it would be online soon. Tha's all I meant to imply.

I have always felt that there should be quick and easy access to the eBugle so felt that the monthly posting was one way of keeping it up front and visible. However, considering the lack of responses to most of my monthly threads, I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth my time. (Perhaps I could learn something from Terry... heck, I never got two pages of response.:rolleyes:;) )

And whilst I am here I'd like to add my kudos to Pete and Cindy for yet ANOTHER great Bugle issue. I have not received my hard copy yet and will admit that I am one to only briefly scan over the eBugle while waiting on the hard copy to arrive. But when it does, my wife, dog and cat know not to bother me until I lay it down. Keep up the great work, we appreciate it.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Shaking my head this morning about the conversation of scanning the Bugles for use in posting them on the website. Reason being, a few years ago, the administrator of the 1954 Buick Highway forum offered to use my collection of all Bugles since 1966 to scan, convert to digital files and make available to BCA management for posting on the BCA website. He is very skilled at magazine layout and publishing and has some awesome scanning equipment. All he asked for in return was to be given permission to scan and post the issues containing 1954 Buick articles on his forum site and a year of membership to the BCA. Not only was his offer refused but he was told that if he did scan and post the 1954 related articles he would be sued.

What a missed opportunity.....

I am currently busy with a huge building project or else would offer my help in the scanning of the issues. I will however offer to box and send my collection to anyone wishing to devote the time to scanning them.

As I think the discussion related to the eBugle would fit well, I have copied and pasted some of the most relevant posts to here > http://forums.aaca.org/f115/current-issues-suggestions-better-bca-380251-2.html

please carry on with any further discussion re the subject there as it will eventually get lost here.

MrEarl – I didn’t take offense at all. These are good discussions. I just want to let members know that the posting of the eBugle isn’t lightly done – it’s not just some kind of “when we get time” decision. In reality, I can make the digital file as soon as I’ve finished Modern Litho revisions, which is weeks earlier than the magazine is mailed out. I’ve never heard anything about the 10th of the month date as the time for the eBugle postings, so it’s good we are having this discussion. Hopefully we can get some clarification about it and decide when is the best and fair time to post the eBugle online. Now that more members come to the internet, we probably need to rethink the timing of the postings anyway. I'll look into this as soon as I bring my husband home from the hospital today with his BRAND NEW RIGHT KNEE! But meanwhile, how about the rest of us think of a way to punish MrEarl BIG TIME for refusing to let that 1954 Buick Highway man scan the mags. Grrrrrr.... .

I understand that a project to get all of the Bugles scanned is probably unthinkably big, and lots of the magazine issues have incorrect and/or useless information in them, but even the oldest Bugles—the very short black and white mimeographed newsletters without photos—have some historical significance I think. Plus it’s fun to read the classifieds to see how CHEAP everything was back then. Again… getting them all scanned is just a wild idea and I threw it out there to see if there is enough support for it.

CWL, Bugle Art Director

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Bugle edition Pete and Cindy. Not cause of the article on page 20, but because I liked the extra attention to including pictures of the people and identifying the individuals. I also liked the other personal stories in this edition as well as the beautiful Buicks from the National Meet. Thanks for all your work producing all the Bugles!