Hupmobile 20 engine noise

1910Hupp

I found this on You tube I'm not sure I agree with the chassis colour scheme and certainly wouldn't start any stem winder like that but there is definitely something wrong with the engine sound. Some thing is whining or rubbing and I can't work out what. Any ideas -Karl

What a shame, looks like a very correct car with a hideous paint scheme. Stop the video at 24 seconds in, there's something that's been added to the steering column, and I can't figure it out. The original rack and pinion steering has the shaft that goes all the way by the flywheel, but on this car there's a big unit right next to the flywheel. Wonder what that is.

The sound, to me, is a bushing or clutch sound, but have no firm idea.

By the gas tank it's a 1910, wonder what the serial number is on this car....

That is quite the noise.Agree with you David about the source.

I think that might be a planetary reduction gearbox on the steering.

As to the gas tank,I thought only a vary few had the low style early tanks.

There are more than a few non-stock items on this car.Looks like a whole lot of work went into it.

Ken

Ken, you know more than I, I thought the majority of the 1500 or so '09's had the square tanks.

A lot of work, yes, you are kind, I'd say very misdirected work, would have been easier and infinitely better to have restored to stock condition and colors....but am sure the fellow who did it thinks otherwise...

Ken, you know more than I, I thought the majority of the 1500 or so '09's had the square tanks.

A lot of work, yes, you are kind, I'd say very misdirected work, would have been easier and infinitely better to have restored to stock condition and colors....but am sure the fellow who did it thinks otherwise...

Not only easier but financially a much better investment to restore to original. They never seem to learn ! Eventually he will end up selling it to some new owner and he will misrepresent it as a correctly restored original car. If he keeps starting it like that he is going to get a broken wrist (despite Hupmobile's advertising that the Model 20 was safe for a child to crank) which will probably be his motivation to sell it ! Karl

I found this on You tube I'm not sure I agree with the chassis colour scheme and certainly wouldn't start any stem winder like that but there is definitely something wrong with the engine sound. Some thing is whining or rubbing and I can't work out what. Any ideas -Karl

G,day to all . Methinks there is a handful of shims missing from the cam box and perhaps the magneto gear has negative backlash. Do you think the steering adaption is Ford. From the immaculate cleanliness I doubt it has been driven yet . Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Hi Everyone,

My Hup sounded exactly the same as the one in that video the couple of times I ran it. As you may know from other posts on this forum, I have since had to remove engine and gearbox due to dramatic stalling of the engine whenever I depressed the clutch. I found that there were no thrust washers around the clutch drum at all so maybe this was what is causing the whining sound on the car in the video as well. I am getting close to reinstalling everything so hopefully my engine will sound quieter then.

However, Max I'd be interested in further explanations of your suggestions re. shims in the cam box and negative backlash on the maggie?

Re-watching the video it does seem like he has to really rev the engine when pressing the clutch so maybe it wants to stall like mine did...

Cheers,

Andrew.