Transmission ID help

Guest Chad M

Guest Chad M

I own a Model T doodlebug tractor, and I have been trying to find out what transmission it has in it and how it shifts (as I do not have it running yet).

The best we have come up with on our website is that it is a Buick transmission from the '23-'27 era. It has a lock behind the shifter, i think someone turned the shifter lever around. I have also heard that it has a reversed shift pattern, but don't even know what the pattern is to begin with. There are casting numbers on the case and shifter housing, 157955-1 and 156129 respectfully. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I can supply other pics if needed.

post-103695-143142770536_thumb.jpg

post-103695-14314277054_thumb.jpg

post-103695-143142770544_thumb.jpg

post-103695-143142770547_thumb.jpg

It does appear to be the same as the transmission out of our 26, I don't think there were many gearbox changes (at least with the casting) for a few of the years though. As described above it does have a reversed shift pattern

I also assume the key was to unlock the trans for use? On mine they put the key in and broke the head off

I'm also not entirely sure what stopped anyone with a screw driver removing the lock either, it looks like you can just remove the barrel by undoing two screws (then again if you were going to steal it you could probably just jam the screw driver in the lock and turn anyway)