Brakes Adjustment on My 1936 ROADMASTER

Budensor

HELP ! Guys my 1936 ROADMASTER Phaeton Brakes are pulling to the right. I need to know the Correct way to Ajust them I've read a little in my old Motors Books. The say to Ajust them till feel a little drag and back them of 17-20 clicks ?

Can any one help me.

Thanks

Bud

First of all, I'm no brake expert, but I have done the brakes on my '36 Special and they seem to work fine. So here' my input.

Backing off 17 turns seems a bit much. I usually back them off until there is minimal scraping, but some.

Also, you need to adjust the eccentric which centers the primary and secondary shoes in the drum. If it is not adjusted correctly, then I would think one shoe would be braking before the other takes hold.

Another possible cause is the rubber brake lines going to each of the front, and the one going to the rear shoes. Over time they can get constricted and reduce the amount of brake fluid going to the wheel cylinders. I would replace those lines if you haven't already.

And finally, one of my old cars had two different size wheel cylinders on the front wheels. This is a long shot but make sure you have the correct size wheel cylinders on the front and back.

That's my 2-cents worth.

Hi,

Another possible cause is the rubber brake lines going to each of the front, and the one going to the rear shoes. Over time they can get constricted and reduce the amount of brake fluid going to the wheel cylinders. I would replace those lines if you haven't already.

These are hydraulic brakes, so the pressure at the wheel cylinders would be equalized before they apply strong stopping pressure. I agree with the above comment: flex hoses swell inside where you can't see it, and then they restrict fluid flow. Assuming you do not have an oil- or fluid-spot on your brake shoes, this is where I would put my attention.

Be sure to get DOT-standard replacement hoses--not the cheap Argentine crap on Ebay.

--Tom