'33 plymouth PD dashboard washers ?

Reg Evans

I'm in the midst of cleaning up a 33 PD and just finished preserving the old wood grain on the upper dash. One of the 4 mounting screws is missing it's beveled washer. Anyone have one available or know of a source ? This dash was dry and rusty looking so I lightly wet sanded it with 1500 wet or dry and coted it with DupliColor clear coat. The grain looks much better now.

post-35316-143142769906_thumb.jpg

You could try here....http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=u2w0js

Click on the countersunk style.

You may be better going for their Corrosion-Resistant Silicon Bronze, they are listed under Brass, these are flat washers which will need dishing as the ones you want are different to the countersink washer, you need a coned washer without the return. My thought is to drill a hole in a piece of hardwood about 1/16" smaller than O/D and drive a conical punch into the centre. I think the originals may have been nickel plated ?

You may be better going for their Corrosion-Resistant Silicon Bronze, they are listed under Brass, these are flat washers which will need dishing as the ones you want are different to the countersink washer, you need a coned washer without the return. My thought is to drill a hole in a piece of hardwood about 1/16" smaller than O/D and drive a conical punch into the centre. I think the originals may have been nickel plated ?

Don't know if they need to be corrosion resistant as they are inside the car and, unless you drive with the windshield open in the rain, are unlikely to get wet. And the plating you'd put on after forming them would protect them too. But I think this is the way to go.

All interior brightwork was originally nickel plated, so yes, those would be too.

Restoration Specialties in PA has these. They're nickle plated brass. They're called countersunk washers and they carry sizes from #4 -#14. Also ,if you know any automotive stores that sell the Auveco trim parts line ,they should be able to order them. A good hardware may have them also. The phone number is 814-467-9842. hope this helps Jim

Restoration Specialties in PA has these. They're nickle plated brass. They're called countersunk washers and they carry sizes from #4 -#14. Also ,if you know any automotive stores that sell the Auveco trim parts line ,they should be able to order them. A good hardware may have them also. The phone number is 814-467-9842. hope this helps Jim

THAT'S the place I was trying to think of (I need some, too). Thanks Jim.

Thanks for the help guys ! Restoration Specialties has lots of great supplies. Now, if I just knew what size those dash washers were. I guess I'll need to call them.

Looks like the parts book calls the that piece a "finish panel" and the screws that hold it on are part 67492 with the weird rubber/metal thingies that hold it are called "Instrument panel finish panel screw cinch nut" with a part number of 327072. I don't see a part number for the washers though.

And the screws, part 67492 are not in the standard parts section so I can't just look it up to figure out the size. I vaguely recall the screws being either #12 or 1/4".

Just about time to head out the door and fire up my '33 for a fairly long day drive. Probably hitting CA49 around the town of Plymouth and heading north from there.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Make sure you ask for the countersunk washers that are like the ones in your photo. The washers in Tomp's photo are called flush type washers and are usually used with garnish mouldings. I don't know if your car came with the countersunk type or not. If the holes in the dash panel are countersunk, the flush washers were probably used with oval head screws.