New Member, new car!

Guest munch69protour

Guest munch69protour

Hi All,

I am new to the Riviera but have always admired it.

Purchased a 63 yesterday!

I was wondering if I could have some trim tag decode help...

From what I have been able to tell it was an originally White with Red interior (leather??) the car is fully loaded with a trunk release and what I believe are power vent windows. I need to remove the door skins to confirm (really? who thought of bolt on door skins??)

I am planning a a full mainly restoration with the possible exception of a 200 4-R or 4L80e for better performance since the dynaflow is toasted.

Here is a picture of the trim tag, any help would be appreciated!

Time for some comfort and style!

post-103676-143142769331_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning a Riviera. You're pretty much on target with the decoding of your data plate. U6 is the option code for for power windows, and U7 is the code for power vents. When a car came equipped with both, U8 was used on the data plate. You don't need to pull the door skins to check for power vents, there should be a two toggle switch on the arm rest for those windows, they'll be above the four toggle switch for the front and rear windows.

The D on the data plate shows the car was equipped for a radio, the I6 (not 1) is for tinted glass, the N2 is for the air conditioner, S is a remote driver's door mirror, and the Z4 is for the remote trunk release. J2 next to the 778 is for power seat. The 778 is for red leather and vinyl (leather only on the seating surfaces) and CC is Artic White.

X on a window sticker would be followed by a 1 or a 2 denoting either Guide Matic (headlight dimmer) or Twilight sentinel. But the data plate only codes the back half of the car so I'm not familiar with an X on the data plate. Other things, like the two mentioned previously, plus cruise control, four note horns, cornering lights, the style of wheel cover, the size of the engine, tilt wheel, etc., which are front half options, do not appear on the data plate.

Your car was built the first wee (A) of December (12) of 1962. The FB number is the sequential number out of the limited production of 40,000 1963 Rivieras built. Your car was built before some midyear changes but after some others. Jim Cannon would like a complete description of the dash, speedometer, vacuum tank, spare tire placement, and a couple of other things.

It would help us if you'd let us know your name. We're a friendly group and enjoy helping newbies.

If you're not a member of the Riviera Owners Assn. you should consider joining. There's a link to the ROA's website in my signature line.

Ed

Here are pictures of my data plate and the original window sticker for my car. As you can see, only some of the options are on the data plate.

post-50017-143142769398_thumb.jpg

post-50017-143142769393_thumb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest munch69protour

Thanks Ed.

I plan on doing much more research here.

I promise not to ask stupid questions until after I use the search!

Marcel

Thanks Ed.

I plan on doing much more research here.

I promise not to ask stupid questions until after I use the search!

Marcel

As a retired teacher, I can only say that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. But when you research for yourself, you'll be surprised to find the answers to questions that you haven't come across yet.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

Welcome to the family Marcel. You just bought yourself a moving piece of art - now go out and show it off as much as possible!

Guest munch69protour

Thanks for all the replies, I hope to post some pictures as we tear her down.

Ordering a dash pad cover at some point, with a Red Interior what is the correct dash pad color? Assume red, but did some have black? Just noticed I have a red gas pedal, cool.

I looked back at some pictures that I took at some recent ROA events. Didn't find a white car with red leather, but did find a silver car with red leather. Red dash and red package tray. Brake and parking brake pedal rubber came in the interior color as well. The brake pedal covers are being reproduced; haven't seen any repo accelerator pedals yet.

Ed

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Riviera Marcel! Like Ed said, consider joining the ROA. There is a wealth of information and resources available to you, which is extremely helpful since Rivieras don't get the same level of support and parts resources such as A-Bodies and other more popular models.