I need a better story....

Rogillio

People ask me all the time, "Where did you find the car?" My answer, "Craigslist" gets a chuckle.

i don't know what people expect to hear when they ask that. Maybe they think I was looking thru my grandfather's barn and under an old tarp.......

So.....where did you 'find' you car?

Guest SarahtheTruck

"My car found me." Of course I knew I wanted that sort of car, so maybe the 'carsmic' forces were at work. Its owner walked up to me and said "you know anybody that would want that old Pickup?" The rest is history, I still have that old truck after many years.

After years of looking, mine apeared 2 miles from my house, on a road I drove daily!! I called the wife, picked her up, and went back to talk to the gentleman. While talking, 2 cars pulled up, guys jumped out, and they were touching MY CAR!!! I asked the gentleman how much, and I said SOLD!! He delivered it the next day! It took 4 years of on and off work, but what a pleasure working on it was! It had all the original parts, but door window mechanism handles were falling apart, as was any other things made of pot metal. Luckily for me, I found NOS parts I needed. As to the headlight lens, mine are stamped DB, and I found some others at the Portland OR swap in April of each year. I know the excitement of the chase, And I enjoyed every minute of it! I now have 2 Grandsons interested in working on it, and it will be in the family for years to come! I can send pictures if I have an E-mail address for you. KEEP ON DODGEING!!!

My Dodge was a gift. Well, sort of. My wife and I run a cattery (a cat boarding establishment) and the Dodge belonged to Gilbert; one of our customers. When they came to us with their cats, I would chat to Gilbert about old cars while my wife Jean would chat to his wife June about the cats. Sadly Gilbert passed away and June wanted me to have the car because she said it is what Gilbert would have wanted. Besides, if I didn't have the car she was prepared to scrap it because of the trouble it had caused between her and Gilbert - he had traded in his Rolls Royce Silver Shadow for it and June never forgave him!

Despite the fact that the Dodge was a non runner, I felt that it was too big a gift to accept and besides, people might think I had taken advantage of the distraught widow! On the other hand I couldn't really afford what the car was worth (or I would have had trouble with my own wife!) so we came to an agreement that I would accept the car on the understanding that should I ever decide to sell it, I would split any profit with June. We are both happy with the arrangement.

Ray

My father-in-law bought our car back in 1974 from a couple that were having to move from up here is Sault Ste. Marie, MI to Ohio and really didn't have a way to take the car with. My father-in-law had months before asked about the car and they had told him they weren't interested in selling it at that time. Well, the time came from them to get ready to move, they had borrowed a trailer that wasn't long enough for the car and when the owners got the car on the trailer, the front wheels came off the front trailer and the front axle was resting on the tongue of the trailer! Needless to say, he was so upset and flustered that he called my father-in-law and basically told him if he wanted the car to come and get it! My father-in-law wasn't really ready for it but went ahead and grabbed another person and a trailer and went and got the car. It's been in the family ever since. Back in 2011, my father-in-law signed it over to Dennis & I and we started our journey of restoring it. Through this website, I have been fortunate enough to find the previous owners and have become friends with them!! Come to find out it was her Grandfather's car brand new! We are very fortunate!

Shannon

eBay of course. I knew exactly what I wanted: the same thing I already had, stored away for 40 years, but needed too much work. So...

I sought..I talked...I bought.

Cute, isn't she?

And I bought the car Phil had stored away for 40 years. To top it off, I sold the car to Phil in 1967, and, it being my first car, I was overjoyed to get it back four decades later. I regretted selling it the moment I signed the title over to Phil, and thought about that car just about every day since. Thank God I had the presence of mind to sell it to Phil - the one guy nuttier about old cars than I was. Probably no other living human would have kept the car that long and it might be part of a Toyota if not for Phil. I guess fate plays funny tricks on us now and then.

I bought my first OLD car, 1920 Model T Coupe, because it was local and I knew it about for years.

Bought the 2nd on ebay, the 3rd and 4th on clist (in state), the 5th and 7th I bought right here at aaca and the 6th I found at www.autabuy.com as I'd been looking pretty hard for a '59 Chev.......the first car I bought when I was 17.......barely........I loved that car so much I NEEDED another one....... :P