V-12 Ignition Question

Ron K.

Okay all of you seasoned V-12 experts, my engine was missing and not running well. The left side seemed to have good spark but the right side no spark, occasionally she would all of the sudden start hitting on all 12 and then revert back to running really rough. I shipped the distributor and coil off to Jake Fleming and he serviced and rebuilt it. Jake does good work so I am convinced that the distributor, coil, condensers are not the problem and the spark plugs look good. Any ideas?

Ron

Sounds like a condenser, ( condensers can short) or coil... I also know and like Mr Flemming but he only cleans the coil, not rebuilds it.. Chk under dash coil resistor, there are 2..if you want a quick "rig" run 6 volt to the brass nut on the dead side, see if fire returns..

--4-5 volts at brass coil nut is normal

--have skip haney in punta gorda rebuild a spare coil for you...new internals

Are you sure all six on one side quite firing. If I got it right only three cylinders on one bank are fired from one of the distributor plates. The other one covers the other three, and of course the same for the other bank. That's the reason that wire conduit exists right behind the generator. If three on one side and three on the other we're not firing then one would suspect that the electrical components associated with those plugs could be the problem including the resistor. I can think of nothing electrical thats in common with just one bank of plugs. The only thing that comes to mind is the plug wire conduit. How old are the plug wires?

Boy, did I get that wrong! I checked the dist wiring diagrams and Mssr. Bwatoe and Waldren are correct. I would do as they suggest and hopefully you will find your problem quickly. It has been suggested to me by members of this forum to pack two fresh condensers in my tool bag as these have a bad habit of failing.

Guest 39 Pickup

With the wires removed from the coil, you will always get 6v reading. Connect the wires to the coil and rotate the engine. When the points close on that side you will get 3.5 to 4 v reading.