Best Summer Ever??

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

So the Summer has finally come to an end here in Michigan. Seems like it just started and it's already gone!! But what a Summer it was! I've had the time of my life this Summer. The car guy in me has been totally satisfied. Michigan is the place to be for car guys. I have been to more amazing shows, museums, and get-togethers this year than in all the other years of my life combined. I have seen and experienced amazing things this year from getting to work on a one-of-a-kind piece of Buick history called the 1956 Buick Centurion to taking a ride in a '28 Dodge, a '15 Buick Roadster, a '15 Buick Truck, and even a Model T Ford and countless unforgettable experiences in between.

Counting all of the car events I've been to, going back to school for a degree in auto restoration, and volunteering at the Buick Gallery I have had the Summer of my life here in Michigan. My only regret is that I did not make more time to visit with some of you that live nearby. Time just slipped away. They say it does fly when you are having fun. Guess that's a fact! Here are a few photos I have selected that highlight a fraction of the experiences that I have had this year. When you open the photos they have a description telling what each one is.

post-75106-143142768595_thumb.jpg

post-75106-1431427686_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768606_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768614_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14314276862_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768627_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768633_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768641_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768646_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768652_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768659_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768664_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768671_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768677_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768684_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14314276869_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768696_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768703_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768708_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142768714_thumb.jpg

Robert;wonderful pics,love them.Like I said your in the middle of auto history,never at A loss for things to do.As winter gets closer begin to plan some things you would like to do to your cars,projects and what not,I spend alot of winter in my garage and time flys.Hopefully we won't get it like the last one,that was A little extreme,you got bit bad the first winter here,we all did. Mark

Well at least the rest of us can say that we know someone who is living the dream. I think most of us are a little envious right now. Or in my case, hoping for a time machine that would give me back 50 years so I could make a knowledgeable choice for a future. If I could have a do over, I'd like to combine my love of old cars with my love of teaching.

Ed

Guest shadetree77

Glad everyone has enjoyed the photos. It was hard to pick out just 20! Thanks for all of the comments.

Dan, We haven't ventured further than Frankenmuth. Everyone tells us that the U.P. is absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen a snowmobile in real life come to think of it, let alone ridden one. Looks like fun though!

Mark, you hit the nail right on the head there. I am literally smack dab in the middle of auto history here and enjoying every minute. Good advice. I already have a few projects planned. First step is to buy a heater though! As for the miles I racked up this Summer, it's hard to put an exact number on it. My speedo' was out of commission and unhooked for about a month at one point. I'm going to guess somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500.

Ben, you are 100% correct and I make sure she knows how grateful I am on a regular basis. Lots of foot rubs and hot meals cooked.

Ed, it's not too late! Move to the area and you can teach at Baker!! Their automotive program is always looking for teachers and it's a top notch facility.

Dale, lol. I wish!! I'm still struggling just to get the oil pan gasket replaced! I've never seen anything like it! I basically have to disassemble the ENTIRE bottom end of the engine just to get the oil pan taken care of. You couldn't have paid me enough to have been a Kaiser mechanic back then. As for the Hot Rod article, I have no idea. My subscription ran out a few months ago. Can somebody be kind enough to scan it and post it here?

Derek, Watch it now! I'd be willing to bet Joe still has enough spunk to take care of business! Lol. Seriously though, I have truly enjoyed talking with Joe and really enjoy his company. His outlook on life, his sense of humor, and his views on cars/Buicks are really inspiring. That's why I included a photo of Joe's convertible. Meeting him was one of the highlights of my Summer. Wish I had talked to him more often.

Larry, You said it my friend and you were right!

Robert, I will photo the Hot Rod article in a few, and E-mail to you.

My bride of 54 years was born in Detroit, move to Iron Mountain, Mich. soon after and still has family there.

We love the state of Michigan, and of course the UP. We took the 41 Limited from Indy, up through Chicago, then along the west coast of Lake Michigan, up to the UP, then all the way up to Lake Superior, drove along the coast, then down and across the bridge. WHAT A GREAT TRIP/SITE. White birch trees abound, even chased a PORKY PINE across the road. Can't wait to do that again.

Snowmobiles are a blast, when we lived in Michigan I sold them, so always had a ride.

Dale in Indy

I don't think I've ever seen a snowmobile in real life come to think of it, let alone ridden one. Looks like fun though!

Robert,

Glad you have had a great season so far! Time sure flies when you are having FUN right?

Snowmobiling is definately something you and the wife should try! I enjoyed it with my wife and kids for years......

post-36036-143142774714_thumb.jpg

Nice! You definitely made the rounds. I love this area for all the great events; some others to check out next year might be Greenfield Village Motor Muster (1934-76), Greenfield Village Old Car Fest (1885-1933), and the Frankenmuth AutoFest.

Gilmore is an amazing place; I recognize the Tucker display you're in. They do a car show every year called the Red Barns Spectacular which is excellent (especially considering it's in the middle of nowhere), but it's worth the trip even without the show going on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest buickkuhn

seen frankenmuth , did you go to st. ignace car show they have a antique one week before hot rod one last week end of june . great drive .My family and I drove the 1965 ford fairlane there 4 years in a row . It is something to see (google it ) Nice ride like the original look too .