Transaxle on th Marmon 32 Wasp in the Museum

Guest Richard T. Ammon

Guest Richard T. Ammon

The Model 32 had a transaxle (first in the USA) where the transmission was bolted to the deferential rather than the usual bell housing of the clutch and motor.

My question: Was the transmission of the Marmon Wasp that won Indy in 1911 up front or bolted to the deferential as was the typical Model 32?

Thank you in advance....

Rick Ammon

1917 Marmon Model 34A Cloverleaf

1929 Marmon Model 78 5-passenger Sedan

1961 Buick Electra 225 Convertible

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Rick,

I am not an expert on the Marmon Wasp but I came across these pictures that seem to show a transmission in the "regular" position. Ray Harroun both designed and drove the Wasp in the 1911 Indianapolis "500" race. He said the wasp was put together using common Marmon auto parts. Look at this picture. It appears to be a transmission.

ricosan:)

post-97329-143142781557_thumb.jpeg

post-97329-143142781559_thumb.jpeg

ricosan,

I do not see any transmission in your pictures. I see an aluminum crankcase with enclosed flywheel and clutch.

Richard,

I suggest you review the claim that Marmon had the first transaxle in the USA. A "transmission at the rear end" was common at the time and is technically not a transaxle at all as it is unsprung weight. Technically a transaxle has the transmission and differential mounted to the frame with a flexible drive to accomodate spring motion coupling the drive to the wheels. Think chain drive cars and VW Beetles.

Guest Richard T. Ammon
Good Morning Rick,

I am not an expert on the Marmon Wasp but I came across these pictures that seem to show a transmission in the "regular" position. Ray Harroun both designed and drove the Wasp in the 1911 Indianapolis "500" race. He said the wasp was put together using common Marmon auto parts. Look at this picture. It appears to be a transmission.

ricosan:)

Thank you for the info. Rick

86580.jpg

Yes, this is a toy model but you can see the stock Moodel 32 Transaxle and paired brake drums on the rear axle. With the exception of gearing, this is the stock rear end for the model 32post-59076-143142789773_thumb.jpg You can barely see it on this 1913 model but it's the same. Marmon referred it to it as a rear mounted transmission, mounted on the axle for easy access, not technically a trnsaxle but theoretically close.

Guest Richard T. Ammon
86580.jpg

Yes, this is a toy model but you can see the stock Moodel 32 Transaxle and paired brake drums on the rear axle. With the exception of gearing, this is the stock rear end for the model 32[ATTACH=CONFIG]276464[/ATTACH] You can barely see it on this 1913 model but it's the same. Marmon referred it to it as a rear mounted transmission, mounted on the axle for easy access, not technically a trnsaxle but theoretically close.

Thank you, Sam. Just as I thought. Rick