SHOCK ABSORBER FLUID

ILIKECARS53

Guest cccapt42

Ok Jim, about three months ago I was wondering the same thing, except the shocks on my 36 were dry. After a lot of searching on the internet, I had all kinds of answers, so I found some hydraulic jack fluid on the shelf, put that in and they seem fine. I heard people say 20w, 30w or ATF. You could ask Apple Hydraulics what thet recommend. Les

I used hydraulic jack oil first time in mine. I believe it is about 10 weight. following season moved on to 30 w engine oil. Since mine all leak the 30w lasted longer thru the driving season than the 10 weight did. I have since moved up to a 50w which work very well for me. I do find the car to be a little stiff on cooler mornings but it limbers up pretty quickly. I moved to 50w in an effort to slow down the leaks and safe me time on refilling them. One of these days I will take my extra shocks apart and try rebuilding them.

I use universal power steering fluid, it is a clear hydraulic fluid with a mix of 20% "Lucas" hydraulic seal conditioner & stop leak. Napa and other part houses sell the Lucas product. I have used this for 5 years in many of my old cars and customers cars. The stop leak is a bit thicker and will soften and condition the old seals. It slows the leaks. Remember the shocks were designed to be toped off during lube services. I find most cars I work on this has been overlooked for years. I have a hand pump oil can with the mix off 'shock' oil and a piece of rubber vacuum hoses on the work bench, ready to top of when needed. A top off every 3 months to 12 months works well to keep most old shocks working well and save the time and cost to rebuild them. It will take several filling on shocks that were ignored and let run dry.

Steve Fisher