Transmission Fluid Leak Passenger Side of Car.

Dashmaster

Been doing test drives to find and solve problems with this 88. After may last 2 drives I have found trans fluid on the garage floor on the passenger side right in area of the axle shaft back to firewall. Cleaned in up and did it again. There is a sensor the goes into the trans just above and behind the axle shaft, I found it wet with a drip on it but also the axle shaft area wet some but could be from the motion. Not big puddles and can't seem to get it to leak with it just running. What is this sensor in the trans at this location? Are they know to leak thru the casing. Transmission Shifts smooth thru all gears.

Thanks, Wayne

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

Very Sorry about that, Corrected now. I have suspected power steering but fluid is red. Before I got car running and I moved it onto and off a dolly with no power it somehow pushed power steering fluid out thru the top of the pump reservoir and ran down in this area, But I have wiped up as much as I could and have not see any other loss there. Had it on stands this weekend and running in gear saw nothing leaking. Is there a sensor that causes TC lockup? Or is that the one is I mentioned in my first question?

Will take a Picture of it and post. I think it has 2 wires running into it and held in place to the transmission by a clip, so I do not think this is a high pressure area in the transmission. Fluid looks good but is old for sure. I should replace the filter and gasket since I have seen a bit of moisture around the pan gasket ( Just wet looking ). I did check and tighten all the transmission pan bolts.

It would be helpful if you would add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help answer your questions without repeatedly asking you about the specific model you own.

Click "Settings" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

It's that easy!

Guest Mc_Reatta

That sensor is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Could be that seal or the drive shaft output seal on that side.

The connector for the TCC solenoid is at the upper front driver's side.

Thanks for the information on it being the VSS. I will remove it and see what the seal looks like. I am not thinking the axle seal just because it should leak even when parked and not running. When I was running it on Jack Stands as a test still no leak found, All I can think is when driving I can get it to shift thru all gears and TC lockup, That I can't do on stands.

I don't claim to know much about the transmissions....but from your discription of it dripping on the passanger side, about the only part of the transmission that is that is on the passanger side is the drive output.

Here are pictures from the area and you can see the sensor in question. The lip on it is where I found a droplet of trans fluid on the lip. As you can see air can blow it around and wet the axle area. I have seen no wetness where the shaft enters the transmission. Based on how many times my son and I have pulled his Saturn engine and moved it to other cars. I have never had a car leak at the axle shaft where it goes into transmission. The other wet area you see ( upper right wire loom) is from power steering fluid that came out of the top when I was moving it around with no power. I have not had the chance to remove it yet to check seal which I expect to be an O ring.

post-87347-143142773845_thumb.jpg

post-87347-14314277384_thumb.jpg

The sensor shown in the first photo is the VSS. The three sensors in the second photo are (left -right) VSS, Knock sensor, and mounted vertically is the oil pressure sensor.

The VSS for your '88 is a '88 only part. VSS from other years will not work on your car. Maybe all you need is the o-ring that seals it. If you need a new one here is the part you will need: Borg Warner S8029 Abs Speed Sensor

• 5 weeks later...

Now after fixing the engine cradle bushing I finally got back to look at this again. I had wiped down the area shown in pictures to remove any mess so I could pinpoint the leak. Took car for test drive after the bushings install. Found it was comming from the axle seal, replaced axle seal on rt side of transmission case and leak is solved.